Twin
50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Turbo Help

Old 01-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Grimace
APPRENTICE

Default Turbo Help

I wanna building a turbo sbc!!!!! Its goin to be a street/strip car! I dont know much about turbos!! Whats better for my set up twins or single! HELP

Its a 355 SBC

these internals:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...%2D300&FROM=MG

other than

Stock Crank

Stock Rods

These Heads:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I dont know what to do for a cam, intake ,& carb.. If you see something i should change let me know.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:56 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

What will your compression ratio be?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:51 AM
lookingaround
RACING JUNKIE

what kind of boost you planning on running? i think id change the rods and pistons if it were me. i dont think stock parts would hold up to long.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:59 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

I think the twin turbo would make too much power for a stock crank and rods...I have seen a single turbo setup run 5.66 in the 1/8th with a stock 400sbc block (aftermarket internals) didn't make too many passes and split the block in half. You could play with a single turbo for awhile if RPM's were kept down.. Just my opinion. Turbo's are the way to go as far as HP but the cost is outragous.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Grimace
APPRENTICE

I know alot of import guys and they are all switching from twins to one BIG single! Whats better for the track? 9 to 1 and boosting @ 5 to 8 psi!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:42 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I know very little about turbos,but have read alot about them concerning diesel trucks.Far as I can tell,the idea with them is a 2 stage turbo.One smaller one to help spool up quicker and then a larger one to carry it out with the upper rpms,when you need more airflow.I wouls think that a twin turbo would probably be better.2 small ones that spool up quick,bit together can move some serious air.Of course two cocts more than one.A guy at my track has a 302 fox body Mustang and he adapted a Ford 7.3L Powerstroke turbo to his.HE LITERALLY USES A COFFEE CAN FOR THE AIR BONNET :shock: .I looks crude buy he runs low 6s.And that truck turbo really screams.It is awesome.For the track,with a loose converter,I'd say one biggun.For the street,I'd say stay small.Just my $.02
Old 01-20-2008, 12:14 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Turbo Help

Originally Posted by Grimace
I wanna building a turbo sbc!!!!! Its goin to be a street/strip car! I dont know much about turbos!! Whats better for my set up twins or single! HELP

Its a 355 SBC

these internals:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...%2D300&FROM=MG

other than

Stock Crank

Stock Rods

These Heads:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I dont know what to do for a cam, intake ,& carb.. If you see something i should change let me know.
You just want to build one to say you did it, or do you actually want it to run like it has a turbo?

If it runs like it has a turbo with those parts, it won't run long.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:40 PM
feenst
JOURNEYMAN

Twins should build boost quicker.
A single should maintain the boost better on gear changes.
I personally like twins because they simplify the plumbing on a V-8.
Check out ebay for cheap twin turbo kits that will make the kind of boost you're looking for.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Grimace
APPRENTICE

Car Craft had Marty Stromberger's stock-block SBC, twin-turbo 1988 Pontiac Firebird GTA . See "Hard Core, in the November 2007 Car Craft at pp. 76-80. Its went 9.75 at 141 with an ancient, used, 150,000-mile two-bolt/cast crank short-block and crappy 487X heads ." Thats what gave me the idea! Im not lookin to go that fast i just want to run some mid 11s!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Grimace
APPRENTICE

Thanks for all the comments! What will be good size turbos to go with? Like i said its just goin to be a street/trip car low to mid 11s would be ideal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -