Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: discs on rear drums on front will it work??

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

discs on rear drums on front will it work??

I am in the process of tubbing my car,and have gotten to the point where I need to figure out what to do with my brakes.The car is a '48 Olds.Had a 10 bolt in it before and was running stock '74 Nova on the rearend.Front end is still bone stock '48 with drums.Got a 9" in it now.I am planning to go discs on all four corners eventually.But for now,would it hurt to go ahead and buy a disc brake setup for the rear and leave the drums up front?Do ya'll think it would act stupid when I go to stop?
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

if you used this http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku I would think you could adjust them were it would work fine!!!!!!

That's the same idea I had.You know rails only run rear brakes anyways.Of course they don't weigh 3000 lbs either :roll:
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you cannot confirm their validity"- Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by olds48
    That's the same idea I had.You know rails only run rear brakes anyways.Of course they don't weigh 3000 lbs either :roll:
    MAN HOW MUCH DOES YOUR CAR WAY THEN???IF YOU WAY 3000LBS??

Last time I wieghed it she was 3125.That was with 2 full NOS bottles,Full 16 gallon fuel cell,and one battery.Since then I have backhalved it,added a 10 point cage,lost the NOS,went with aluminum heads,lost the inner fenders,went to plexiglass windows.Don't know what it will weigh now,but I know just the side windows and rear glass wieghed 78lbs.And my windows are tiny,about 14" tall!!!I'm trying to get down to that Ranchero wieght category

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    LOL LOL -OLDS48-----I MEANT YOU WIEGH 3000 LBS!!!!!--YOU ONE BIG GUY :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ----LIVELY-ONLY KIDDING

ops:

HOLD UP MR LIVELY You asked"what does your CAR wiegh?" You set me up on this one,boy!!THATS ONE STRIKE ON YOU NOW BUDDY :lol: :lol:

Member CRAFTSMAN

frt. disc

try contacting Speedway Motors in Lincoln, NE at speedwaymotors.com.
    they have a kit for early chevys that might work. 8)

Thanks gasalley.Very cool site I didn't know about.Their kits only go back to a 49 Chevy,though.See,my car has kingpins whereas 49 and up went to spindles.WORD OF CAUTION----40'S MODEL OLDSMOBILE'S ARE A AFTERMARKET NO-MANS-LAND :evil: .Suits me fine,see less of them that way.Thanks anyways,still is gonna come in handy.