HELP carb leak

Old 01-18-2008, 06:41 AM
bigs1975
CRAFTSMAN

Default HELP carb leak

I have a 4779 holly that for some reason decided to leak fuel all over my intake just from sitting a few days.I did go through it about a week ago.It had a stumble in it when going wot on the trans break.After pulling it off and tearing it down I found a few problems.The main body to base plate gasket was too small,the gasket was covering part of the venturies,It had a 25 primary squirter and 37 secondary,It had 76 jets in the front and 82 rear.So I squared the jets at 82 and put the right gasket in.I didn't touch the pumps on it.Set the floats and it ran great.So it set for a few days and I went to start it.Flooded it and fowled the plugs.Don't know how.Last night I pulled the hood off and saw fuel all over the intake and around the base plate and main body.Any idea what happened?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

well the only place fuel is stored while the car is shut off is in the bowls..so its gotta be linked to that...it can leak around a bowl and run to other parts lower on the carb making it look like its coming from somehwere else..
i say start with bowls and make sure needle seat was not stuck while the car was running causing hung up floats with too much extra fuel in bowls.
Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-18-2008, 02:07 PM
bigs1975
CRAFTSMAN

Thanks Brian.Thats what I was thinking too.Floats are good.No fuel coming up through the vents or pooring into the motor when the pump is on.It has the brown gaskets on it and I reused them.I think I'll just get some new gaskets for the bowls and metering blocks and see what that does.

Shannon
Old 01-19-2008, 10:49 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Default leak

just to throw something to you, i had the same problem, gas on rear of intake, took carb off twice, found fitting where it goes in carb had a small nick in it, pressure from pump would cause it to leak on intake. something that might help.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:23 AM
bigs1975
CRAFTSMAN

Thanks guys,I found it.Bowl gaskets.