BBC Balance

Old 01-17-2008, 11:46 AM
nghollis
APPRENTICE

Default BBC Balance

Last night started taking apart a 468 that I have had sitting in corner of shop for about a year.The engine had a external balance flexplate and a external balance damper on it.When I removed the pan,I found it had a forged steel crank that had various balance metal welded in some of the holes in the throws on the crank.I quess what Iam asking is can this engine still be a external balanced engine.Any response will be helpful.Thanks Nick
Old 01-17-2008, 12:44 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Yes. Even external balanced cranks can have the need for Mallory metal.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:01 PM
nghollis
APPRENTICE

Default BBC balance

Thanks JMARK,The man that I got this engine from has passed away and I do remember him telling me that he thought it needed a new flexplate,but I dont remember why.The only thing I found on it was a couple of converter bolt holes were rough,no teeth on starter gear were bad,no cracks.I was thinking that the balance was different,might be the reason he told me this.Thanks Nick
Old 01-18-2008, 04:24 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I have had two 406's and one 454 balanced and both ended up with metal in the crank.