Possible Car Sell

Old 01-16-2008, 02:38 PM
fredo11
SHOW GUEST

Default Possible Car Sell

I may have reached a deal with a buyer for my car (ad #1077193). I would like to ask for advice as to the next "smart" steps to take. We are several states apart. The buyer plans to have a service pick the car up. He also agreed to send half the money up front. When I suggested a bank wire transfer he said what ever I wanted to do.
So, should I ask for the half up front to be sent (wire transfered) and cleared and the remainder at delivery? I don't have too good of a feeling of having to track down my car across the country. And what a great deal it would be for half the price even if the first part of the deal was smooth. I have his first name, phone number, and RJ user name. I haven't seen any adverse information on him in the forms.
Any thoughts and or advise?
Thanks.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:58 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

nothing against buyer..but there is no way in HECK..i would let my car go for 1/2 the money i am asking...he could wire me the entire amount or come and get it...too many scams out here my friend..be afraid..BE VERY AFRAID...
it also concerns me with people who buy stuff sight unseen..i realize it happens every day..but not me ..sorry..

looks like you have a nice piece..i checked out your ad and sent you a message also...

Thanks- Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-17-2008, 02:31 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
nothing against buyer..but there is no way in HECK..i would let my car go for 1/2 the money i am asking...he could wire me the entire amount or come and get it...too many scams out here my friend..be afraid..BE VERY AFRAID...
it also concerns me with people who buy stuff sight unseen..i realize it happens every day..but not me ..sorry..

looks like you have a nice piece..i checked out your ad and sent you a message also...

Thanks- Brian
What Brian said, to risky i think.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:07 AM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

I would have all of the money before the car came out of the garage!!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:22 PM
bigray
DYNO OPERATOR

you can always sey up a tem bank acct. at your bank and have all the money's sent there.just my TWO cents worth,but it worked for me.good luck,and a cooool car.1/2 down and let the car leave !!! HELL no>>
Old 01-18-2008, 06:34 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

What they said. Anytime someone is going to involve a "service" it makes me suspicious. If he is going to use a service I would think it would be bonded and he could trust that same service with the cash to pay for the goods when they pick it up. I think scammers count on the seller being anxious to close a deal to get them to agree to terms they normally wouldn't.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:37 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I uses "services" all the time to move my Corvettes around. I will wire transfer the money and set up to wire transfer the additional once the seller calls me to tell me that my service is there. I will then go to my bank( or call since it is a small town) and go ahead to have them release the other portion.