Thermostats and electric water pumps

Old 01-14-2008, 05:24 PM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

Default Thermostats and electric water pumps

Is it good or bad to run thermostats with electric water pumps? My 421 ci SBC currently isn't running one but because I live near Chicago I feel like it's necessary to warm up the engine quick. I have heard that at high rpms they fail?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:39 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

take out the center piece and run you the sheet metal plate with approx 3/4 hole..you will be fine..
Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-19-2008, 04:11 AM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

im curious about this one too cause i have a mezeire hi flow pump and was wondering the same thing!!!any other imput???
Old 01-19-2008, 09:30 AM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

thats what I have always done... take sidecuts and chop the 2 side bars and just put the ring in to restrict flow. Thats how my dragster with remote CSR pump and my truck with Mezier pump. Have had no cooling problems even in hot july-august.. 496 BBC in dragster, 406 SBC in truck.

I hope this helps
Old 01-19-2008, 12:18 PM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

Thanks guys. It makes sense just to create enough of a restriction. My car actually has the heater core still and was gonna hook it up to see if I could actually pump in heat for those cool spring or fall nights.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:00 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I always run a 160 stat to start cooling before it gets too warm.Also lets it cool down to a lower temp than a 180 will less restriction,to cool down quicker.I just drill two 3/16 holes on the outer edges to let more water thru than the factory bleeds.Works for me.