New Blower motor

Old 01-12-2008, 05:03 AM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default New Blower motor

I am thinking about building a blower motor after years of using big cube nitrous motors. What I am looking for is some advise on what size cubic inch is a good starting point. 454,505,540,572..... can't decide. This is my first attempt at a blower motor on alcohol but I do have years under my belt as far as tuning alcoho goes so thats not an issue. Just never played with a belt. I do want to start at a reasonable level but without breaking the bank. I am thinking that I want to start at a 496 ci and go from there. Any info would be appreciated. Again this is just a first attempt so I don't want to build the best money can buy type of motor. Kind of like a science project.Also any tips that can help build this motor along the way. Thanks guys in advance.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:43 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

540 is the choice for alot of racers.. And built right can belt out some Major HP...My buddies New motor is suppose to make 2600HP it is a 540 :shock:
Old 01-12-2008, 07:49 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by us7race
540 is the choice for alot of racers.. And built right can belt out some Major HP...My buddies New motor is suppose to make 2600HP it is a 540 :shock:
Must have Big Chiefs on it? The Dart 360s and BMFs will warp above about 2100 HP.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:00 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: New Blower motor

Originally Posted by demented
I am thinking about building a blower motor after years of using big cube nitrous motors. What I am looking for is some advise on what size cubic inch is a good starting point. 454,505,540,572..... can't decide. This is my first attempt at a blower motor on alcohol but I do have years under my belt as far as tuning alcoho goes so thats not an issue. Just never played with a belt. I do want to start at a reasonable level but without breaking the bank. I am thinking that I want to start at a 496 ci and go from there. Any info would be appreciated. Again this is just a first attempt so I don't want to build the best money can buy type of motor. Kind of like a science project.Also any tips that can help build this motor along the way. Thanks guys in advance.
Advice...

1. There is no replacement for displacement, to a certain point. Keep your stroke at or below 4.5". Blower motors, for whatever reason, don't like more stroke than that.

2. Keep at least .250" worth of cylinder wall in the block to keep it from distorting.

3. Gotta double key that crankshaft.

4. Do a blower hub, not a balancer.

5. There's NOTHING wrong with steel rods. Don't let anyone tell you different. (Oliver or Carillo that is)

6. Gear or belt drive over timing chain.

7. Gas motors, 8 or 9:1 compression. Alky 11.5:1.

8. Buy the best blower you can afford. The more efficient the blower, the cooler the intake charge. The cooler the charge, the more power it will make.

Off the top of my head those are the biggies.

Honestly though, right now, if I didn't already have everything I'd be building a turbo motor, especially if you're going to run a street or 10.5 tire class. The turbos are so much easier to control the power on than blowers.

There's my buck fiddy.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:01 AM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Originally Posted by us7race
Must have Big Chiefs on it? The Dart 360s and BMFs will warp above about 2100 HP.
This is one area where I would have used dart 360's. Guess I should reconsider. Thanks for the tips guys. Keep them coming.

I also know most guys are using 540 ci combos, but I here many using a 526 ci assembly for the bbc. which is better big bore-short stroke or smaller bore-long stroke. I would think it depends on the head.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:19 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

It is a Big Chief Headed I think 14*..It is a solid block and heads and..
It has a Kebelco 14-71 Hi-Helix Superman Blower with all the upgrades..
The pushrods are 1/2" on the intake and 9/16 on the exhaust.. :shock:
Old 01-12-2008, 02:53 PM
ccso640
JOURNEYMAN

I'm also in the process of buiding my first blown alcohol motor and have heard a million different opinions, confusing to say the least. Mine's a Ford 572, 4.5x4.5 using an aftermarket iron block. I bought a Velasco billet crank $3,300, because everyone I talked to said a forged crank would not stay together. Still need a set of rods, bb chrysler, and everyone also said I have to use aluminum because steel rods will crack the crank because they deliver too much shock, not sure? I have the dual keyed crank and blower hub as well as everything else but rods and pistons. Plan on using 11.5-1 compression. One thing I'm still undecided on is O-ring the block or not, heard several different opinions on this also. Chris
Old 01-12-2008, 03:20 PM
demented
JUNIOR BUILDER

As far as o-ringing the block, definitely do it. I have it done on my nitrous motor and know the importance of it. You have to keep the cylinder pressure in check.

Like I said eariler, I'm not going to go out and build a top dollar motor yet. I am thinking of doing something on a descent budget. I have even thought about just a 427 bbc blown motor on alcohol just till I get use to it.