Race bullets Flow or Dyn
35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Header collectors vs flowmasters vs bullets

Old 01-10-2008, 05:18 PM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

Default Header collectors vs flowmasters vs bullets

I just wanted some feedback from guys that have run these on their rides for the street. I own a back halved 67 chevelle with a 421 ci SBC from hell. I won't be able to get everything done this year for NHRA safety tech. The car is probably a high 9sec car on the trans brake, but a solid 10-11 sec car. This summer I am just cruising the local car scene and slowly adding all the safety features. The car is a full functional street legal Pro Street with open headers right now. I am only looking to be "street legal" in the eyes of police that might pull me over. Header collectors? Race Flowmasters? Bullets?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:48 PM
lanham
MASTER BUILDER

Default mufflers

Another one to look at is the dynomax ultra flow mufflers.I like the the sound of the ultra flows better than any other muffler.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:38 AM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

you can make your own with best of both worlds.i made my mufflers with 3" perferated tube wrapped with ceramic wrap then slide a 4"tube over then make end caps (4"diameter with a 3" hole for tube to fit thru)weld up and the larger the perferations the quieter itll be.mine i made is 36 inches long with half inch holes.fairly quiet (especially for a bullet style muffler)no probs with police yet ive never tested but would imagine any thru muffler will flow more air than a chambered muffler!id have to say its hard to hush down my 572 with a thru design muffler but mine works great.next year wanna test against open exhaust at track to see what it costs for hp loss (hopefully not much)any questions pm me...russ
Old 01-18-2008, 02:33 PM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

Thanks Russ. I am still undecided. I found a place in Joliet IL called Sasser Custom exhaust that does mandrel bent tube$$$$, but it's still within reason. The place I usually go to does affordable quality stuff but only has 3" tubing and 3" Flowmaster single chambers in stock. The collectors are definetly out though. The race fuel fumes are to much and I don't want the family puchin in the interior. I have to get the fumes routed from underneath to either the side or squeeze them between the meats in the back. I've just been waiting for the salt and snow to end to take the car to get the work done.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:28 PM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

I have true dual mandrel bent 2.5" with dual FM 40s and shorty headers on my sbc fiero and it is KICK ASS!! I love the sound of FM 40s on a med-wild camed v8.

flowmasters have my vote.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:04 AM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

just remember the more angle pieces(especially 90's)you incorporate, the more power expect to loose!i wished i ran my car at the track last summer to see what loss it'd have with the bullets i made.like i said they were fairly quiet behind my 572.for anyone who doesnt know its hard to hush a big cube motor especially one without chambers!!!imagine a bullet muffler but with bigger diameter holes inside and more packing material.way way quieter than the jegs bullets(cheapies).my friend told me he made his mufflers so after listening to him about em he helped me with mine and i wouldnt ever trade em for a chambered muffler-oh by the way if anyone is running an old school evac system(tube from valve cover to header to pull out crackcase presure)it needs to be used only with a non-chambered muffler or no mufflers at all...like i said best of both worlds!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:23 PM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

It's weird you meantion the evac system. I have been researching the pros and cons of the basic system and the mechanical pump. I found guys that swear by them for their high horse and dollar engines. Now, I just have to find an affordable mech pump. As for exhaust I will probably go with the bullets now that I have seen all the info.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:42 AM
russ67chevelle
EXPERT BUILDER

like i said i swear by my homegrown ones i got....they are fairly quiet,cant be very restrictive and are better than a chambered muffler with the evac system.win win win.if you have access to a welder and a few shop tools i can help guide you if youd like......pm me if it spikes your curiosity
Old 02-13-2008, 06:03 PM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

Just wanted to update. I found a sweet deal on RJ for a set of Borla header collecters. I couldn't resist. Thanks for all your input.