Possible Scam by christer ~

Old 01-08-2008, 12:25 PM
whel4
SHOW GUEST

Default Possible Scam by christer ~

Hello everyone! :lol:

Would like to let everyone know about a possible scammer who contacted us regarding our ad! Watch out for him!!

His email address:
[email protected]

Goes by:
Chris

Said he's from:
Sweden
(right!)

Wanted information:
via pay-pal, personal check or bankvire via your account #

Please see the 4 originals emails below.

Thanks. :mrgreen:

Original Emails # 4
Hi dave ! columbus to westlake is abaut 2,2 hour (139 miles). yes offcourse Iam very intressed in the rail, but I have a few more questions to ask I dont see at the photos. do you known the brand (make) on the chassie?tig welded?what rear end 9" or? how do you want the downpayments? via pay-pal,personal check or bankvire via your account# all the best Christer

Original Email # 3
Godmorning Becky and Dave ! yes Iam very intressed in the rail. I have my friend lives in westlake OH abaut 8 hour from your location. Dave do you know any who going to westlake or can freight it on that location? all the best Chris/from overseas

Original Email # 2
Hi Becky ! thanks for the photos, its feels better to talk via E-mail becuse my english its not so good, Iam from sweden (no problems with transport) dont vory. what$ did you ask for it? all the best Chris

Original Email # 1
Hi ! if you still have it,please send more photos to this E-Mail adress:
[email protected] all the best Chris
[/quote]
Old 01-08-2008, 01:07 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Looks to me like a good potential buyer that by his own words does not fully grasp the English Language and is very interested in buying your rail and is trying to work out some kind of way of getting it and is telling you he can pay by PayPal, Bank Transfer, or Personal check.

Looks like a good buyer to me, just trying to work things out to get what you are selling and how to pay you.

Set up a duplicate bank account just for the purpose of receiving or sending bank to bank transfers. That is a good solid way to receive money and it takes only a few hours to get. This buyer is asking yourt account info so he can send money. He will need your account number and the bank routing number to transfer his money to your bank account.

Or he has said he can pay you by PayPal.

Ed
Old 01-08-2008, 01:25 PM
bigray
DYNO OPERATOR

it may be a good sell.just use pay pal or set up a temp back acct.but at least they are calling the item by name. and not just piece.or part or item.they know its a dragster rail.any be carefulllll...
Old 01-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Default I would be Voried

"Iam from sweden (no problems with transport) dont vory. what$ did you ask for it? all the best" Chris

That sentence would bother me. Why? Its common to hear someone use the word "vory" for "worry" when they are trying to imitate a Swedish accent. To see it in an email? That would lead me to believe the writer is trying to imitate a Swede in writing, and whatever nationality you are-you just plain write-you dont try and imitate a dialect.

If it were my guess I would say scam.

BTW in email number one he refers to your item as an "it", then it becomes a rail in email 3- Did you use that term in your response email? If so then I would be doubly skeptical.

Best of luck whatever you decide and keep us posted.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:59 AM
mickethorn
SHOW GUEST

I´m from Sweden.
If you have some info of were he lives I can check him out for u. Se if he exists.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:20 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

I must say I agree with Scorpion. Another thing that is bothersome to me now is the "newbie" that pops up and volunteers to check him out.
Excellent advice Ed and Bigray.....Paypal, duplicate account, etc.

Make the guy pay through Paypal, or no deal. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:17 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

If he is a good buyer, then he won't mind his friend from Westlake bringing you the cash. He can wire everything to that person and they can withdraw the money so there is no probelms on your end.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:49 AM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

If this deal hasn't been completed after 8 months...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:17 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I would say it's a scam, my best friend here in La. is a state fraud investigator for the AG's office, and at this time they have 3 on the table from Sweden and Denmark and these are from car dealers who got screwed here.
IMO, i would have his friend from Westlake bring you the cash and then it's off your plate. I would not give him your banking imformation, and with Paypal he can claim a bad deal and you cold get screwed.
I've been a member of PayPal for 8 yrs. and use them all the time,i have respect for them but they are buyer orientated.

PS, most people in Sweden, speak English but with an accent.

JMO

Zip.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:06 AM
mickethorn
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by hollowayshotrods
Another thing that is bothersome to me now is the "newbie" that pops up and volunteers to check him out.
Sorry!! Just trying to help. Forget it.

Micke (Chopperz)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -