350 to 383 help!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:43 PM
ccl246
SHOW GUEST

Default 350 to 383 help!

I have never rebuilt an engine, i know how they work and all the basics. But heres the thing, i bought a 1995 z28. I would like to buy another LT1 and rebuild it as a 383. Just wondering where i should start. Are there kits out there especially for this? Do i have to round up all parts seperately? I want to keep the car on the street and be able to cruise in it, but be able to boil the tires off it too. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:42 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default 383

Do Yourself a Favor?Buy a complete Longblock!!!Theres more to this than just buying Parts and throwing them in the Block,by the Time you have the Machine work on the Block done?Clearencing,Boring,Linehoning,Decking,Preping and cleaning.That ritr there will cost a Grand +.Then you you will need a donor block,and your new Parts,they will need to be balanced.
Find a Good Honest Shop in your Area,and spend around 3500.00 for a say 500-525HP Longblock.Bolt on your accessories...........and Let Her EAT!
Later
G 8)
The reason i say this,is i just did a 383 for My S10 Blazer,and have done about a dozen of these in the past.I probably have close to 1800.00 in Mine and i do all my Own Work!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:49 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

We machine quite a few blocks for 383 engines we sonic test the block, bake and blast, line hone with an ARP bolt kit, square and deck, stroker clearance, bore and plate hone and that runs 595.00

On the 383's we when there is some spare time in the shop we put on 4 bolt replacement caps or if its a 2 bolt we machine for splayed center caps.

So far all the rotators we have used we used only forged cranks and 6 inch rods only. the cranks we have been using are the Callies cranks as we can buy them cheaper the Scat and they seem to right on for sizing.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:29 PM
ccl246
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:07 PM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

jegs and summit sell kits- might be some on ebay as well-
use a good book, take your time,do it right the first time- people don't get things done just watching
you'll never achieve your goal if you don't
Old 01-17-2008, 09:37 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i had a 99 LS1 and considered beefing it up...priced the kit etc....

I agree with Greg..you can purchased a complete Long block cheaper and less hassle than building one....

just for the record the difference bewtween a 350ci and a 383ci is the stroke..which requires new crank Rods etc......

thats why the 383 are called strokers,,

just pull up anything to do with 3rd and 4 generation camaro's and you will see all the stuff they offer...

i was going to place a rear mounted turbo (STS) on my 99 ls1 before i decided to sell car...
check out this website..i know the owner bruce really well..lives near by.

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "