Degreeing solid cam

Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 AM
hnrmotors
SHOW GUEST

Default Degreeing solid cam

Can anybody with some insight help. The cams instructions just cause confusion. How do i degree my solid cam for my sbc? I have the tools.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:08 PM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

Easiest to explain ......

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=article&id=3
Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 AM
hnrmotors
SHOW GUEST

thanks for the help
Old 01-16-2008, 01:35 AM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

i though degree wheels were basically fore when your using a offset key way
stock timing would be stock- most stuff is set,and figured in from the cam factories so people dont need to do this
right or wrong?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:09 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Wrong. The most important reason for degreeing a cam is to account for and correct the effect of production tolerances. The location of the keyways on the crank and sprocket, the location of the dowel on the cam and it's corresponding hole in the sprocket, and the orientation of the lobes on the cam, all have an "acceptable" range as deemed by the manufacturer.
As an example, let's assume that the production tolerances for the location of keyways, dowells etc is + or - 2 degrees. If the crank keway, the crank sprocket keyway, the cam dowell pin and the cam sprocket locating hole were at the max tolerance in the same direction, the cam could end up 8 degrees retarded or advanced with the dots lined up. Obviously, this will have a significant effect on performance.....so you degree the cam to make sure it's right and correct it if necessary.