How to buy without being scammed?

Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 PM
shoughton
SHOW GUEST

Default How to buy without being scammed?

How can I buy a new engine from a private party and not scammed? I'm intrested in purchasing a 383 but it is located acrossed the country and I can not see it. How can I protect myself?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:23 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Why not write up a legal contract covering yourself and the seller?

or

Would a plane ticket cost so much to fly out for the day or weekend to make it a deal breaker? Buy it in person, take it with you to the closest freight terminal and ship it.

or

Ask the seller for references...

or

Ask the seller to take it to a local machine shop to him of your chosing for inspection prior to purchase?

or

Buy an engine locally that you can see.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:25 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

YOU HAVE NOT SAID WHERE YOU ARE FROM[ WHICH WOULD BE A BIG HELP]--BECAUSE SOMEBODY ON HERE CAN PROBABLY HELP YOU OUT--OR WHERE YOU ARE TRYING TO BUY FROM---BOTH IMPORTANT!!!!---IT IS OK TO BE CAREFUL JUST DON'T FALL IN THE TRAP OF" EVERYBODY IS A CROOK"---MY 2 CENTS--LIVELY IN ILLINOIS
Old 01-05-2008, 03:40 AM
shoughton
SHOW GUEST

I'm from Maine and the engine is in Washington. The engine sounds like a good deal at $3000.00 but is not worth the expense to fly and see.
I just don't feel comfortable sending that kind of money to a private party I don't know. I was just curious if any one knew a way both parties could be protected in a transaction like this. The person selling the engine is most likely a honest guy but you hear so many stories about people being scewed by scammers. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:20 AM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

Where in Washington..I live in BC (Canada) and Washington is in the same division...I know that it is a long shot. but send me an email with the guys name and the city he lives in...who knows maybe I know him or it is close by.if you get some refences maybe I'll know him or someone I know can vouche for him..its worth a shot for piece of mind..there is also an escro service
Old 01-05-2008, 07:29 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dak697
Where in Washington..I live in BC (Canada) and Washington is in the same division...I know that it is a long shot. but send me an email with the guys name and the city he lives in...who knows maybe I know him or it is close by.if you get some refences maybe I'll know him or someone I know can vouche for him..its worth a shot for piece of mind..there is also an escro service
GOOD IDEA!!!!THAT IS WHAT WE NEED MORE OF 8) 8) --LIVELY
Old 01-05-2008, 11:50 AM
shoughton
SHOW GUEST

I just got off the phone with the seller. Seemed like a good trust worthy guy. His name is Jamie Roby of Spokane WA. The engine was built by Johnson's Racing 1245 Vista St. Spokane WA. I couldn't find the shop online. If you know the shop any input would be great. Thanks for the replies. The internet is a great source with many great poeple.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:48 PM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

You can try and post the question to the following site

http://www.div6-topcomp.com

There are some guys that race Top dragster/Sportsman that run out of Spokane ...Maybe they can help...

if you post the name and address on that site....Good luck