turn an electric 400 into manul passing gear?

Old 12-30-2007, 04:22 PM
roylancaster
SHOW GUEST

Default turn an electric 400 into manul passing gear?

I have whats called a 400 chevy tranny with the electric passing gear how can I or can I put a cable in place and run it to carb? tranny is somthing like a 383? but the pan is def a 400?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:04 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

The Turbo 375 an 400's all used an electric solenoid for full throttle kickdown. It's been a while... I believe the carbs had a switch that sent voltage to the connector on the trans at full throttle. Never hooked them up in the race cars. Just like a TH 350 uses a cable for full throttle kickdown, neither one affects normal shift points. You could hook up a momentary switch to send voltage when the carb hits full throttle only and get it to work, not too hard to do.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:04 PM
insane4fbodys
SENIOR BUILDER

There is no way to run a cable from a 375,400 to make it have passing gear. Jmarksdragster is right in a switch on the carb. Most stock cars had a switch located on the inside of the car on the accelerator pedal, so that when you mashed most of the way down it triggered the passing gear switch.