Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: turn an electric 400 into manul passing gear?

  1. #1

    turn an electric 400 into manul passing gear?

    I have whats called a 400 chevy tranny with the electric passing gear how can I or can I put a cable in place and run it to carb? tranny is somthing like a 383? but the pan is def a 400?

  2. #2
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    The Turbo 375 an 400's all used an electric solenoid for full throttle kickdown. It's been a while... I believe the carbs had a switch that sent voltage to the connector on the trans at full throttle. Never hooked them up in the race cars. Just like a TH 350 uses a cable for full throttle kickdown, neither one affects normal shift points. You could hook up a momentary switch to send voltage when the carb hits full throttle only and get it to work, not too hard to do.
    Mark Whitener

    Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

  3. #3
    Senior Member SENIOR BUILDER
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Fort Smith
    There is no way to run a cable from a 375,400 to make it have passing gear. Jmarksdragster is right in a switch on the carb. Most stock cars had a switch located on the inside of the car on the accelerator pedal, so that when you mashed most of the way down it triggered the passing gear switch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Copyright © 2005-2016 All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Classifieds Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy