Would like to run alcohol carb instead of Injection

Old 12-30-2007, 12:21 PM
rundeep66
SHOW GUEST

Default Would like to run alcohol carb instead of Injection

I was thinking about running an alcohol carb this year. I was wondering will I still gain the power from a carb instead of running the ron or a hilborn style. I know injection is always better. I always thought you could drop about .2 to .25 from your et. by running alcohol injection. I'm just starting out with this. I figure I would start with a carb it may be a little cheaper.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:33 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Injection is usually close to a tenth faster, I've did the swap both ways a few times. www.apdracing.com Give these guys a call for great alky carb.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:37 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Would like to run alcohol carb instead of Injection

Originally Posted by rundeep66
I was thinking about running an alcohol carb this year. I was wondering will I still gain the power from a carb instead of running the ron or a hilborn style. I know injection is always better. I always thought you could drop about .2 to .25 from your et. by running alcohol injection. I'm just starting out with this. I figure I would start with a carb it may be a little cheaper.
I rather doubt that. Alky carbs aren't exactly cheap these days, for a good one.

If you have a single carb manifold, get a Ron's unit.

If you have a tunnel ram, go with an Enderle.

If you don't have a manifold and like the Nostalgia look, get the stacks.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:16 PM
rundeep66
SHOW GUEST

Motor in the car it's a 1998 camaro, it's not the easiest to do a intake swap. I have a 1150 worked I was just going to have it switched over. It should be about 500 or so. I've been keeping up with you guys post about alky I'm going to try it out this season. I figured I would loose about a .10.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:19 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by rundeep66
Motor in the car it's a 1998 camaro, it's not the easiest to do a intake swap. I have a 1150 worked I was just going to have it switched over. It should be about 500 or so. I've been keeping up with you guys post about alky I'm going to try it out this season. I figured I would loose about a .10.
At least a .10, if not more. Mech Inj will decrease it another .2 to .3 over a carb, and make the car deadly consistent.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:37 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I dont see over a tenth from a rons toilet to a carb, atleast both properly setup. Get someone good to do the change over on the carb if not you'll fight it ! Seem it way to many times.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:33 AM
john858
EXPERT BUILDER

i had an apd & a Rupert carb,both work well,my personnal preferance is Rupert,i just bought another one.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:01 PM
rundeep66
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:16 PM
jjentracing
JOURNEYMAN

Default Carbs

I got a Rupert Gas carb and love it. If I was going to alcohol, which I have thought about it would not be Rupert....it would be APD. What would one expect to see in e.t gain going to alky on a 496 BBC in a dragster? Car runs around 5.10 (5.06 best with me)with a best e.t. of 4.96 with a smaller driver. What do you think?
Old 01-21-2008, 04:26 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I thought Rupert stirctly did Alky Carbs??? I have owned nothing but Rupert carbs and after watching others struggle with their APD, I would hesitate to own it unless it came directly off of Randy's car.

As for injection to a carb, when we took the hat injection off our dragster it went from 7.80's to 7.90's. It was .15-.20 difference. The response and torque off injection is far greater than a single carb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -