GOOD YEAR SLICKS WHAT COMPOUND

Old 12-28-2007, 01:44 AM
RAPPTOR23
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default GOOD YEAR SLICKS WHAT COMPOUND

:? NEED INFO ON BEST TIRE COMPOUND FOR DRAG CAR.. 14/32/15.. 2400 LBS CAR.4.11 GEAR.600 HP.GLIDE WITH BRAKE.4500 CONVERTER.4 LINK.NOS SOME TIMES.SIDE WALL STIFFNES AND GROTH FACTOR CONFUSE ME .. :wink:
Old 12-28-2007, 06:34 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

without naming a specific tire...i will give you some general information that you can use in the future when determining what compound car and side wall stiffness.

the softer the compound the better the bite..but the quicker the wear..if you can stand putting on a set of tires every month go with the sofest compound..many try to stay in the middle..maybe leaning toward the harder side becuse of durability ...

2nd- a stiff side wall is better suited for a heavy car...it provides more support to the heavier wieght which helps the car be more stablke as it travels down the track.

the soft side wall is better suited for the lighter car..i would say if your car is 2400 lbs..a soft side wall would work great...the sides will wrinkle and give allowing the car to get a better bite...the car being lighter will not move around as bad on the soft side wall.

also many people just look at the Tire size only...please do not fall into this..when a tire is in full motion is will GROW taller..so be sure to check the 'ROLL OUT" OR Circumference.....

its possible to have 2 identical set of tires example( 14x32's) and one have a inch taller roll out than the other..in other words one tire will grow more then the other...which will and can effect proper gearing ratio and fender well clearence.

to give you a good example of tire growth...next time you watch the Top fuel NHRA Rail cars ( doug herbert etc)...whatch the back tires as they do their burnout of toward the end of their run..the tire will grow taller and skinner...then when the let out of the throttle is will come back down to its normal height...

hope this helps you.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "