drag racing stories

Old 12-20-2007, 12:26 PM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

Default drag racing stories

what are some of your best drag racing stories? wildest rides, most problems, biggest explosions, most interesting stories that you guys have from drag racing?

I'll start, but its probably not as good as what most of you have...

well, the first time that I took my v8 fiero to the track I blew up the stock 100k mile tranny on the first run launching at 2k rpm, I didn't even trip the lights on the tree, there was chunks of spider gear and oil all over the starting line, lol the track owner didn't like me very much that day... but it was a pretty small track that wasn't very popular that particular day and I knew most of the employees on a first name basis so I was able to talk them into letting me race my tow truck down the track since they felt bad about the fiero. So I was able to pull off a 23 sec run with a fully loaded down (spare tires, all of my strip tools, etc) pickup truck. anyway, not sure why I felt the urge to find out how fast the truck could go, but I guess I just needed a run down the track that day, that was the first and last race of the season for me.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:45 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

LUCKILY I HAVE NEVER BROKEN ANYTHING,BUT I DID COME RRREEEAAALLL CLOSE TO SMACKING THE WALL ONE DAY. I LEARNED MYLESSON ABOUT"NEVER LIFT" ATTITUDES. BUT I WILL SAY THAT THE BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD IS THE FIRST TIME YOU EVER PUT AIR UNDER THE FRONT TIRES WORTH EVERY PENNY IT TOOK TO GET THERE
Old 01-02-2008, 02:20 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

I have a story from a few years ago..
At my track we run a heads-up race that pays $100 once a month, and I always get in it and usually get beat by a guy who drives a big block Nitrous powered camaro. I always ran NA until this day..
My truck was running 6.50-6.60's that day and I had stuck the 100HP jets in my new secret Nitrous kit. We staged and (I was always a little quicker off the R.T. than he was) I let off the button much to his surprise jumping about 3 cars out of the hole on him..about the time I crossed the finishline First he went by..I ran a 6.16@111 and he ran a 6.06@123MPH He was so Pissed! But it was an experience I will never forget.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

The first time I took the Nova to the track I was very nervouse because I had no idea what it was gona do . I had purchased the car as a roller and just put my motor and tranny in it. The guy I bought it from claimed it worked good but that's what they all say when they are selling it to ya.I had never raced a car with a trans brake before.Well I went up for my first pass and staged the car...as soon as the top yellow came on I smashed the gas... problem was I forgot to push in the trans brake button. hahaha ops: Talk about tree'n em.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Stappy
JOURNEYMAN

I think the dumbest thing I've ever done is clutch shift an automatic car.
I had a Fairlane that was a mild 302, Art Carr reverse manual valve body tranny. I drove to the track in a 5 speed pick up. As I lined up for the first run, I had a good light, as I was about to shift to 2nd, I nailed the "clutch" which also happened to be the brake pedal to grab 2nd gear. Locking the brakes for like 2 feet and hitting 2nd, needless to say my dial in was a bit slower than expected. ops:
Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

AND YOU COULD HERE THE CROWD SCREAMING " IS THAT A GIRL DRIVING THAT"---I ACTUALLY DID THE SAME THING IN HIGHSCHOOL SHOWING OFF IN THE PARKING LOT---REAL EMBARRASING ops: ops: ops:
Old 03-21-2008, 07:17 PM
topcat572
MASTER BUILDER

Default staging

Try staging a dragster with the rear wheels, looked cool, but they backed us up. :shock:
Old 03-22-2008, 02:49 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Here's one for ya. Back in '96 or '97 I had a 63 Nova. At the time, I had been the S/P track champ twice at my home track. My usual routine was to burn out in high, roll out of the throttle, shift into neutral and let the momentum roll me in to prestage. For some reason, I let it roll in too far and staged. I looked over at the other side of the tree and the other guy was also staged, so I set the trans brake and mashed the throttle. Launched in neutral!! That'll make your momma proud...... ops:
Old 03-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by johnracer
Here's one for ya. Back in '96 or '97 I had a 63 Nova. At the time, I had been the S/P track champ twice at my home track. My usual routine was to burn out in high, roll out of the throttle, shift into neutral and let the momentum roll me in to prestage. For some reason, I let it roll in too far and staged. I looked over at the other side of the tree and the other guy was also staged, so I set the trans brake and mashed the throttle. Launched in neutral!! That'll make your momma proud...... ops:

Doh!!!

:lol:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -