Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: offset pinion

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

offset pinion

Hey guys,first time on here for me.I got a?I'm tubbing my car and my buddy has a 9" housing,already narrowed,that will fit my car.Pure luck,this housing is about 10 years old Anyway,it has equal lentgth tubes and a centered hog head,which puts the pinion about 1.5" off-center of my car.Will this work?Will it eat u-joints?Will it bust my tailhousing?HOW DO I GET MY PIC TO THE LEFT OF THIS RAMBLIN' :? Any info will help please

Thanks George.Didn't realize there were different sections.Kinda new.Thanks ops:

48 views and no replies.Help me out.Any info/opinion appreciated

I heard pros and cons to both sides, I had my mopar 8 3/4 narrowed and both axels I decided to have same lenth which puts pinion , center off to right side some, but heard it wasnt a big deal , at least for what I want to do with it. No problems

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400
    doesn't matter as long as it is not an extreme angle. The axles will be different lengths too.

Ed
    " Let all things that hath breath, praise the Lord. Praise Ye the Lord" Psalms 150 vs 6.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edvancedengines
    doesn't matter as long as it is not an extreme angle. The axles will be different lengths too.

Ed

SAME HERE------LIVELY

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    Typically the rear housing is cut to center the pinion and two different axle lengths are used. Been a while since I cut one but I think it was around a 2" difference. If it were mine, I would cut it to center it. The other option is to use the Strange 12 Bolt center section, if you have to buy one anyway.It may be OK offset, but if this is a race only car it's better to get everything lined up.
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE lively's Avatar
    ALSO I FORGOT TO SAY[A.G.E. DISEASE :? ]---MAKE SURE THE CENTER OF TRANS / ENGINE COMBO AND THE REAREND PINION ARE RUNNING PARRALLEL TO EACH OTHER!!!--SORRY I DID NOT LET YOU KNOW EARLIER :shock: :shock: ---LIVELY

Best I can tell it's only about 1" offset to pass. side.My driveshaft is 52"center-center.So it shouldn't be alot of angle.Didn't know about the 12 center section,have to do some research.Thanks guys.Any other ideas?

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400
    A flex-coupling (U-Joint) sees an angle. It doesn't care if the angle is to the right, the left, to the top, the bottom, or somewhere in-between. All the coupling knows is that it is there to flex becuase of an angle. Like I said forget it and run it. Just watch the up and down angles.

Ed
    " Let all things that hath breath, praise the Lord. Praise Ye the Lord" Psalms 150 vs 6.