Thread: powerglide transbrake

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE

powerglide transbrake

Ive got a TCI powerglide with amanual valve body, andatransbrake. My problem is the transbrake wont hold in place at the line. First time it backed out after i brought the RPM up. Scared the bejesus out of me! Called TCI and they said to adjust the band, I tried that( exactly to their instructions) but it still takes off when I bring up the rpm. Im still probably doing it wrong, Imaklutz.Any help would be appreciated.

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    I had one do the same thing, it would move backwards when I brought the rpm up on the brake. It was low of fluid. This was a hipster brake dont know if it will help, but it cant hurt to try.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    The band should be no tighter than 3 3/4 turns out. After that, get a pressure gauge, you should have at least 200psi. If it is backing up it is losing pressure somewhere or doesn't have enough. Low fluid level would do it, I would hope you've checked it.
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    The forward clutches could be burnt too but it would show by lots of slippage. Some of the transbrake solenoids are also adjustable too.
    I think I would check the servo piston and spring then re-ajust the band, also check line pressure. Mine has 250Lbs-275Lbs with a JW pump.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Thanks a lot guys. Ill try them all,sooner or later Ill hit on something! Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in awhile. Again, thanks.