More engine help!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:01 PM
altune
MASTER BUILDER

Default More engine help!

I need some info on the previously posted engine help.
I had inquired the best way to adjust some hydraulic roller lifters.
The helpfull guy said to run the engine at idle and adjust them out till I hear them clatter and then run them in till the sound goes away. I tried it several times and found if I adjust them till they make low noise the valves are hanging open and loosing compression in the cylinder.
I ran a compression tester and loosened the valves till the compression came back up and started the engine. Very noticable valve noise.
I had stated I soaked them in oil before installation and ws told it was not nessesary. Could I of overpumped them or ?? Do I have to remove them and drain the oil out of them? It just seems 1/8 of a turn makes the engine run like crap. anybody?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:51 PM
DaveKoehler
APPRENTICE

I am wondering if you are over thinking this deal or expecting too much.

The noise to no noise thing is relative. On a stocker with stamped steel rockers and all the other stock stuff the valve train will be fairly quiet. This isn't going to happen with roller rockers on a warmed over engine. You are going to hear all kinds of strange clicks, etc.

You only want to get rid of the "clack, clack" clearance noise and then add your appropriate turn. Any left over noise is just the way it is.

What you describe is bottoming out the adjustment and turning it into a solid lifter. There isn't much room there. .050-.060? adjustment range.

Are you getting any oil to the top? If not, you need to get rid of the restrictors. That also may or may not help the noise concern.

Dave Koehler
www.koehlerinjection.com
Old 12-02-2007, 07:48 PM
mark6052
APPRENTICE

how are you sure they are hyd and not solids. also the cam grind is for a hyd? did you buy new or used? doesnt hurt to backup and double check. there is noway a hyd cam should not be adjustable to a full turn or somethings Very wrong.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:31 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Are you sure you don't have mechanical lifters instead of hydraulics?

Your symptoms sound like the lifters are either solid or are bottomed out becuase they are either owrn out or do not have enough oil pressure to pump up.

I disagree about the ful turn on a hydraulic though. Only with the factory or replacemtn lifters should you pre-load that much. With most aftermarkets a 1/2 turn pre-load is ample. When you pre-load a hydraulic lifter you are setting the lifter internal valve or piston in the center of it's total travel and with most aftermarket there is only one turn of travel full travel.

Ed
Old 12-03-2007, 03:59 AM
DaveKoehler
APPRENTICE

1 full turn? Wow. :shock: I missed that.
Been a while but I thought GM oem was 3/4 turn on flat tappet hydraulics which in my book was still too much. I generally use 1/4 turn on my own street stuff.

Dave Koehler
www.koehlerinjection.com
Old 12-03-2007, 02:08 PM
altune
MASTER BUILDER

Ok, I called Isky who make the lifters. They told me that I most likley are not getting enough oil to the lifters to keep them quiet. My question is, why are only a few making noise?
Now here is my theory. Is it possible , the valve springs are too weak when adjusted down to eliminate the noise, causing them to Hang open slighly ? Is this possible? The tech guy at isky said that the lifters will take up to 400 psi open pressure before they will colapse., so if thats the case and the valve springs are really weak they should push open.
Anybody?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:02 PM
DaveKoehler
APPRENTICE

You are adjusting too far. You have no oil to the top?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:46 PM
altune
MASTER BUILDER

Oil is kinda pooling in the rocker and running down at idle. Pressure at the guage is 65 psi cold. ( i tried several guages external etc.)
If I am adjusting too far, it can only be by 1/18 turn or so. The rest of the rocker adjustments let me turn in the 1/4 yurn.
I'm baffled. already adjusted the valves 20 times or so. all with the same results.
I'm not an engine guru. I just follow the instructions and have never had this problem before. could I be missing something? Maybe a Brain?
sorry to beat this into the ground.
Al
Old 12-04-2007, 03:02 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I can feel your frustration man, but lets get back to the basics here.
loosen till clatter, then a 1/4 turn. Thats it put valve covers on and drive the thing, it might just fix itself.
A few stubburn lifters not wanting to collaspe after you pumped them up, nothing like a few thousand DRIVING rpms to get the juices flowing. Now I would'nt go out and redline the thing but just a causal crusie varying the rpms a bit.
Fotget about thinking that the spring pressurre isin adequent or weak and not over riding the lifters. the springs are plenty stout enough to do that when the lifter is working properly.
If the lifter wont collaspe I.E. working as a solid lifter then yes it will be override the spring and cause that cylinder to loose compression, but let it run and or drive it and eventually the stubburn lifters will give way then you can take the valves covers off again and do the adjustment once more, and hopefully be done with it.
Also like prevously mentioned, slick looking aluminum valve covers and performance cams will not be all nice and quiet like an oem peice will ever be, so keep that in mind, alittle valve noise should be expected.
Goodluck, Charles
Old 12-04-2007, 03:15 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Another tip that may help.

No matter what method I use to adjust valves to a zero lash, I have found for me it is better to not pre-load them one at a time while I am adjusting. I get finished adjusting and then with engine dead I go back and adjust in preload for every lifter, locking them all down. Then when I start it they are all evenly adjusted. By adjusting preload one at a time with engine running you will think you did something wrong becuse it will start running rough. Do them all and cover it up and run it. and enjoy.

Ed