Need some help with ComCams, Lunati, LSM or camshaft profile

Old 11-30-2007, 04:32 PM
montec468
APPRENTICE

Default Need some help with ComCams, Lunati, LSM or camshaft profile

What I am looking for some help on who does the best camshaft profiles for my 540 BBC and has experience with various applications whether it is racing, pulling, or anything else. Thanks
Old 11-30-2007, 04:34 PM
lmchevy
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default cam

I have always used cam motion.Talk to a guy named Bob.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:56 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

http://www.bulletcams.com/
Old 11-30-2007, 05:50 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Hard to answer your question. This is like asking which car should I buy, a Hyundi or a Mercedes or a Cadallic or a Ford or a Chevy.

You are asking about some common variety mass market production camshaft companies vs one of the most respected custom cam designers and makers in the business.

The answers so far are referring two good companies as well.

Mass market cam companies for the most part are still stuck in the dark ages and are using Masters' to trace the cam lobe profile with while it is being ground. Most of those machines are the reliable but old school Berco Cam Grinders. The pattern has to be there before it can be tracced.

A very few of the more modern custom cam companies are using at least a Ladis 3L or 5L CNC Computerised Cam grinder that cuts the cam pattern off of a computer programmed lobe design,

Most good cam companies are using the 8620 billet for cores. A few of the better ones are using the 8620 Bearing Grade material,.

I much prefer LSM to any other but they also cost more.
Cam Motion has a good reputation.
Ultradyne/Bullet have a good reputation.

www.lsmeng.com

Ed
Old 11-30-2007, 06:34 PM
signsbyesa
RACING JUNKIE

for a good custom grind i have used mr. horsepower for excellent
results
http://www.claysmithcams.com/
Old 12-01-2007, 07:05 AM
montec468
APPRENTICE

Thanks for all the help on this. Sorry, I guess I should of been more specific with my truck pulling motor. It is a 540 BBC 14.5:1 compression, Dart 355 cnc heads, Edelbrock Super Victor cnc ported by Reher Morrison, and 1250 Dominator.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:31 PM
obsessedtruck
JUNIOR BUILDER

IMO, any of the up to date cam guys can get ya what ya need. As long as you are very decriptive on the motor. I don't know about comp cams though. Heard they went kinda south of the border. But I also would talk to good engine B4 I would talk to a cam co.. My opinion some of the engine guys do a better job of getting specs. they also have more connections. I ordered a new cam for mine from shop ans the cam co. they deal with kinda surized me. Erson cams. But i would call a shop 1st and get one from them on whomever they deal with.

BTW, where do you run at, area??
Old 12-01-2007, 03:40 PM
montec468
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by obsessedtruck
IMO, any of the up to date cam guys can get ya what ya need. As long as you are very decriptive on the motor. I don't know about comp cams though. Heard they went kinda south of the border. But I also would talk to good engine B4 I would talk to a cam co.. My opinion some of the engine guys do a better job of getting specs. they also have more connections. I ordered a new cam for mine from shop ans the cam co. they deal with kinda surized me. Erson cams. But i would call a shop 1st and get one from them on whomever they deal with.

BTW, where do you run at, area??
I have heard that Erson does a pretty good job too. I am out in W.V. Are you an Outlaw puller or a brush puller guy?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:23 PM
obsessedtruck
JUNIOR BUILDER

I run the ntpa SS4X4 class in R3 and MN stuff, basically the 5 state area i travel in. The only brush stuff is some close stuff.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:06 AM
montec468
APPRENTICE

Sounds like a good comination you have. We are limited to a conventional heads. I have not been doing this for too long and I happen to get the 355 heads cheap from a friend of mine. I am trying to a little research and see how much I can do with these heads and intake. I would like to knock on the 1000 hp door, but I think I will need a little more squeeze and some head work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -