O-RING BLOCK HELP

Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 AM
superpro1832
APPRENTICE

Default O-RING BLOCK HELP

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A GEN. IV BLOCK THAT HAS BEEN O-RING. IT WAS A BLOWER SET-UP PREVIOUSLY. I INTEND ON USING MY CANFIELD HEADS ON THIS 505C.I. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT COPPER HEAD GASKET TO USE, AND WILL I NEED TO HAVE RECEIVER GROOVES CUT INTO THE HEADS. THE J/E PISTONS ARE 14.5 TO 1 COMPRESSION. THE BLOCK STILL HAS THE STAINLESS STEEL WIRE IN PLACE, AND SOME VERY NICE MACHINE WORK DONE.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:29 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

1st off No you will not need to have the heads reciever grooved..this is done along with the block o-ring just to deep seat the stainless wire into the gasket protruding into head....an o-rined block is just fine with your heads..

the SCE COPPER head gasket is a popular choice...you will need to check your clearances (how much piston travel out of block..'deck height")..the reason being is the gaskets can be purchased in differnet thickness to compensate for some of this if its a clearance problem...once you get the gaskets please check your Piston to valve cleareance...DOUBLE AND TRIPLE check this..you can't just put those heads on and tq THEM DOWN..
TOO RISKY ?

speak with the person you purchased block from and try to get a little history..( if its been decked and how much) ..but nothing will take the place of rolling over the motor and measuring the trravel on your pistons..

once you get this worked out..i recommend studding the heads and use Hylomar Sealent on both sides of the head gasket before you put the gasket on. this will help insure you do not spring a leak...

yo will also need to seal the studs..many opinions here from different sealents to lock tight..i personally hand tighten the studs into the head and use the Grey sislicone gasket maker..

hope this helps some....jegs etc..sales the haylomar..brush on or spray on..both is a good deal.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
superpro1832
APPRENTICE

Default O-RING BLOCK HELP

Brian, thanks for the help on the gaskets. I have checked the 4 corners of the block without the rings installed and the pistons are .010 in the hole. I will make sure to to check the piston to valve clearance. The cam is .748 on intake and .710 on exhaust. also thanks for suggesting the haylomar. I am installing A.R.P. studs for the heads.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:17 AM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

WHAT ABOUT SCE's new titan copper h. gaskets, there self sealing ??
Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 AM
maxpower671
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Copper head gaskets

self sealing, what does that mean? is the hylomar already applied to the copper gasket? or something similar? price difference between gaskets?

most of what i've read and heard with copper head gaskets is they are great for sealing cylinder pressure, not so great for coolant leaks.

i think Brian's post summed it up pretty well.