guy gets tasered over speeding ticket- video link

Old 11-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default guy gets tasered over speeding ticket- video link

Man who refused to sign speeding ticket because he did not understand what it was is tased and arrested by officer who then refused to read him his rights
By Steve Watson

A man was tased and arrested on a Utah highway after being stopped by an officer and refusing to sign a speeding ticket because he did not understand what offence he had committed or why he had been pulled over.

The encounter, captured on the police car camera on September 14th and released this week, is the latest in a long string of incidents involving the unacceptable use of Tasers by officers on citizens whom the evidence reveals are in no way threatening, acting unlawfully or resisting co-operation.

The video shows the Utah Highway Patrolman pull over Jared Massey and his pregnant wife who also had their baby with them in the car and ask for Mr Massey's license.

Mr Massey tells the officer he does not understand why he has been stopped or what he is being charged with, at which point the officer orders Massey to get out of the car. The officer then puts down his clipboard and immediately takes out his Taser and points it at Mr Massey without any provocation whatsoever, yelling "Turn around and put your hands behind your back" as Massey attempts to point out the speed limit sign and engage the officer in conversation.

A shocked Massey asks "what the hell is wrong with you?" and backs away, turning around as the officer had demanded, at which point the officer unleashes 50,000 volts from the Taser into Massey's body, sending him screaming to the ground instantly and causing his wife to jump out of the car and yell hysterically for help.

Watch the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMaMYL_shxc

Lying face down on the ground a shell shocked, Mr Massey says "officer I don't know what you are doing, I don't know why you are doing what you are doing" to which the officer replies "I am placing you under arrest because you did not obey my instruction."

Mr Massey then once again asks the officer several times why he was stopped and what he is being charged with. He then asks for his rights to be read and points out that the officer cannot arrest him without doing this. Instead of reading Massey his rights the officer then addresses another patrolman who arrives on the scene sardonically commenting "Ohhh he took a ride with the Taser" to which the other officer answers "painful isn't it".

The icing on the cake comes at the end of the video when the officer LIES to his own colleague about the encounter, clearly stating that he verbally warned Massey he was going to tase him, as is the law, when there was no warning whatsoever.

Mr Massey is planning to file a lawsuit against the Utah Highway Patrol. He says he was already slowing down as he approached the 40 mile per hour sign in the construction zone outside of vernal. All charges except for the speeding ticket have been dropped.

This amazing video reveals how eroded civil and constitutional rights have now become. The officer had no legal right to make Massey sign any document he did not understand

Tasers are supposed to be the last response before lethal action, however, police now use them as if they are batons or pepper spray.

In the last year over 300 people have died in admitted cases in the US alone from being tased. In the last week alone we have posted three separate stories of Taser deaths. Every week we post stories of incidents, which often feature old women, children and disabled people as the victims. The weapons are even being used in schools.

The police are now trained that "pain compliance," a euphemism for torture, is acceptable in apprehending anyone even if that person poses no physical danger. If you electrify any person, they suffer extreme pain and stand a high chance of being killed.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:23 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Some in law enforcement are very insecure to begin with and when behind the badge it inflates their ego, makes them men...lol.
Then they are big men and will do crap like that instead of using his brain to reason with an individual.

Yes the driver was not following instructions but it could have been handled better imho.

Here in the Boise area of Idaho, we have learned that if you get pulled over you better obey the officer no matter how big an ass he is, if you don't you get shot dead.
I think these are LA throw backs now working in Boise.
Shoot first ask questions later...lol
Old 11-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

He was going to be arrested for not signing the ticket...my question is, is that a crime? He got tased because he didn't turn around to be handcuffed immediately...but did the cop have a right to take him in because he refused to sign the ticket? BJUICE? You were a police officer weren't you? did the guy commit a crime?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
He was going to be arrested for not signing the ticket...my question is, is that a crime? He got tased because he didn't turn around to be handcuffed immediately...but did the cop have a right to take him in because he refused to sign the ticket? BJUICE? You were a police officer weren't you? did the guy commit a crime?
Not sure of the laws there but I have refused to sign a ticket in the past and was allowed to go with the promise to appear.
I was being harrassed by Meridian city police department and I was about to file a civil suit when the harrassment stopped.

I am being truthful when I say I could not drive through town without being pulled over and harrassed.

Now days I would not dream of not signing a ticket.
I want to live!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 01:39 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Failure for signing a ticket is no different that failing to take an alcohol breath test,you still can be arrested for it

Signing a ticket is not a means of saying your guilty,its stating you will appear in court for the charges.

Maybe Brian will chime in here as he has more experiance than me,I just sign the damn tickets,and ask no questions,and do as I am told.

Myself an officer using a taser gets peoples attention that think they are up over the law,I think its a useful tool compared to a gun,but I don't believe police just go around taser people either,they ask for it
Old 11-25-2007, 01:44 PM
signsbyesa
RACING JUNKIE

chevguy65 is right about the ego behind the badge ans its worse
when its a woman, the officer was too eager to use the stun,
but if your arrested for a speeding ticket, don't fight it, you'll lose
when your in the officers court but once you get to the jail it
will all come out in your favor, time to settle out of court.
this guy did look scary with his hands down and walking back
to the truck, he should have assumed the position even if
the officer was wrong, i think the officer did not finish the academy,
but when your out there on patrol, you got to be on your toes. 8)
Old 11-25-2007, 01:46 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

being Ex-law enforcement i will have to say this Video troubles me and the authors report (story) bothers me more...i watched the video 2 times..but only needed to watch it once..As a Certified law enforcement officer i saw many things in the video and the story was off base STUFF SAID BY AUTHOR I DID NOT SEE IN VIDEO..( loaded).

i am not going to try to give a lecture on Police traning and survival to a audience that has no background/Training or Experience in this field....

but i will give you a few key areas of training that took me back to my day in uniform as I watched this clip

1st- a written citation is courtesy summons, but if the violater refuses the citation or the officer feels he must take him in (arrest) and post bond.he has right to do so.

2nd - at the time the officer places the violater under arrest.the violater must cooperate with the officer 100%..until the handcuffs applied where the officer and suspect is safe is only a decent time for questioning on either side...the handcuffs doesn't effect the arrest..when the officer advised suspect he was under arrest ..HE IS UNDER ARREST..handcuffs just make it safe for everyone.

remember the officer doesn't know who he has pulled over,what he has just done or where he is going..its all a guess..

3rd- a taser is NOT the last defense before deadly force..thats all i will say about that....what decison would the officer have if the taser wasn't present.....wrestle the guy,let him go,,call for back up and 4 officers bum rush him.....

looks efficient to me...and no one was hurt but some pride...

4- in order to use deadly force there must be 3 areas of criteria met before an officer has the legal right to use deadly force.#.1- Ability- does suspect have ability to hurt or harm officer # 2- Opportunity- does the suspect have the opportunity #3 is the officer in jeapordy..

if these 3 areas are met 100% the officer has the right to use deadly force...THIS DOES NOT MEAN SHOOT TO KILL..it means using enough force to eliminate the threat..

i put myself in that spot and there were 3 things that happened here that called for elevated force.
1- suspect refused Citation and direct orders. VERBAL COMMAND IS GIVEN MULTIPLE TIMES
2- the suspect continued to disobey the officers command...and the BIG mistake he did was when he placed his right hand toward his pocket and turned around and took a few steps toward his car...how was the officer to effect the arrest NOW...WAS SUSPECT REACH FOR A GUN..TRYING TO GET A GUN ..OR DRIVE OFF IN HIS CAR ?????..#1- tackle and wrestle him down..NO..those days are over with..too many officers being ambushed or having their own weapons taken from their holster and shot with them....

so yes i would have made a move on him also...

for everyone of these vidoes posted..i can show ypu one where a ROUTINE traffic stop ended up with the officer getting ambushed,shot and killed.....i refuse to post one of these vidoes out of respect of my fallen brothers.

and if one gets posted i will take it on my own to delete it..just being straight up

sorry tod..i luv ya bro..but i hate to see this $hit posted......its too much for the untrained (general public) to understand...

i started not to respond but felt i should say my piece weather its understood or not....

if anyone would like for me to answer anymore about my post invloving this subject please PM me i will not go back and forth on a public forum and try to explain the training ,saftey and judgement call of a young officer..
the video is Loaded for the general public and looks like its working....

sorry this is a VERY SORE SPOT WITH ME.. been there and lost too many brothers on ROUTINE CALLS.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
being Ex-law enforcement i will have to say this Video troubles me and the authors report (story) bothers me more...i watched the video 2 times..but only needed to watch it once..As a Certified law enforcement officer i saw many things in the video and the story was off base STUFF SAID BY AUTHOR I DID NOT SEE IN VIDEO..( loaded).

i am not going to try to give a lecture on Police traning and survival to a audience that has no background/Training or Experience in this field....

but i will give you a few key areas of training that took me back to my day in uniform as I watched this clip

1st- a written citation is courtesy summons, but if the violater refuses the citation or the officer feels he must take him in (arrest) and post bond.he has right to do so.

2nd - at the time the officer places the violater under arrest.the violater must cooperate with the officer 100%..until the handcuffs applied where the officer and suspect is safe is only a decent time for questioning on either side...the handcuffs doesn't effect the arrest..when the officer advised suspect he was under arrest ..HE IS UNDER ARREST..handcuffs just make it safe for everyone.

remember the officer doesn't know who he has pulled over,what he has just done or where he is going..its all a guess..

3rd- a taser is NOT the last defense before deadly force..thats all i will say about that....what decison would the officer have if the taser wasn't present.....wrestle the guy,let him go,,call for back up and 4 officers bum rush him.....

looks efficient to me...and no one was hurt but some pride...

4- in order to use deadly force there must be 3 areas of criteria met before an officer has the legal right to use deadly force.#.1- Ability- does suspect have ability to hurt or harm officer # 2- Opportunity- does the suspect have the opportunity #3 is the officer in jeapordy..

if these 3 areas are met 100% the officer has the right to use deadly force...THIS DOES NOT MEAN SHOOT TO KILL..it means using enough force to eliminate the threat..

i put myself in that spot and there were 3 things that happened here that called for elevated force.
1- suspect refused Citation and direct orders. VERBAL COMMAND IS GIVEN MULTIPLE TIMES
2- the suspect continued to disobey the officers command...and the BIG mistake he did was when he placed his right hand toward his pocket and turned around and took a few steps toward his car...how was the officer to effect the arrest NOW...WAS SUSPECT REACH FOR A GUN..TRYING TO GET A GUN ..OR DRIVE OFF IN HIS CAR ?????..#1- tackle and wrestle him down..NO..those days are over with..too many officers being ambushed or having their own weapons taken from their holster and shot with them....

so yes i would have made a move on him also...

for everyone of these vidoes posted..i can show ypu one where a ROUTINE traffic stop ended up with the officer getting ambushed,shot and killed.....i refuse to post one of these vidoes out of respect of my fallen brothers.

and if one gets posted i will take it on my own to delete it..just being straight up

sorry tod..i luv ya bro..but i hate to see this $hit posted......its too much for the untrained (general public) to understand...

i started not to respond but felt i should say my piece weather its understood or not....

if anyone would like for me to answer anymore about my post invloving this subject please PM me i will not go back and forth on a public forum and try to explain the training ,saftey and judgement call of a young officer..
the video is Loaded for the general public and looks like its working....

sorry this is a VERY SORE SPOT WITH ME.. been there and lost too many brothers on ROUTINE CALLS.

Brian
No disrespect intended..thank you very much for taking the time to reply. You answered my question about the signing the ticket.I didn't realise it was a promise to appear.I see how,since he would not sign the promise to appear,why he would be taken in.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I would also agree that the story does not match the video well..definately biased. I just copy pasted it from another forum.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:45 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

No disrespect Brian, after watching the video though, I don't agree the officer handled the situation properly. Especially over a speeding ticket. First thing he did was draw the taiser, even before the request to turn around was made.. :? The guy didn't appear to be confrontational, just wanted some questions answered. By using the taiser he turned a relatively calm situation into an act of violence that could have escelated even further in the wrong situation. Bad choice in my opinion!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -