gas and alcohol

Old 11-24-2007, 06:17 PM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

Default gas and alcohol

Iv`e been thinking about this for a while. Anybody mixing gas with small amounts (5-10%) of alcohol ? are there any advantages to this?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:19 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

I'd have to go look, but one of the carb companies in the National Dragster is advertising a 75/25 Gas/Alcohol carb. It's a matter of getting the metering correct. 10% is probably within the jet capabilities of most Holly carbs. Also less issue with the corrosive properties of methanol and no need for top oil additive. I have considered this myself, but haven't tried it yet. Too many other irons in the fire....
Old 11-27-2007, 07:03 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

Dude..............take note whats on my engine! I guess you've seen it in action before,pure alcohol is the way to. Once you've tryed it you won't go back! Close your eyes and just think,tunnel ram and enderle Thats about 9% extra HP all the time 8)
Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
I'd have to go look, but one of the carb companies in the National Dragster is advertising a 75/25 Gas/Alcohol carb. It's a matter of getting the metering correct. 10% is probably within the jet capabilities of most Holly carbs. Also less issue with the corrosive properties of methanol and no need for top oil additive. I have considered this myself, but haven't tried it yet. Too many other irons in the fire....
I was reading about this carb on another site. One guy had one first weekend it was back off, if I remember right he tried it a few more times and never could get it right.

I'd go one way or another, alky is my choice
Old 11-28-2007, 08:35 AM
taps
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default gas and alky

carb guy advertising 75 -25 carbs is chuck nuytten #is 972-722-8333 i would give him a call.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:06 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Yes, I have mixed alky with gas at a 15% level back in the early/mid 90s, before moving to 100% alky.

The engine was a 462 BBC, oval port heads (049 castings), with a Crane Cam (.648/.669 solid flat tappet). 9.5:1 static compression with 8 Lbs of blower boost from a B&M Powercharger 250 (equiv of 4-71).

The carb was produced from a local supplier called C&M (no longer in business to my knowledge). The carb looked pretty much like the precursor to the Holley HP line. It started as a 750 CFM Double pumped, but wound up flowing 1020 CFM after they were done with it. I really regret having sold the carb, it was a nice piece.

We were running 93 octane pump gas through the motor with the 15% mix. The motor ran cooler, and we had zero issues with detonation. I don't recall how much it picked up, but I do recall a lower e.t. with the mix. It could have either been due to the decreased air charge?

Who knows. I know it worked, and thats all I cared about. We tried higher percentages of alky, but the fuel separated too much.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:32 AM
gasalley
CRAFTSMAN

Default Re: gas and alcohol

Originally Posted by superstreeter
Iv`e been thinking about this for a while. Anybody mixing gas with small amounts (5-10%) of alcohol ? are there any advantages to this?
you can run 10% ethanol without any problems. we can but this at the pump here in Iowa & many other parts of the USA. we,also, buy an E-85 blend of ethanol(85% ethanol - 15% gasoline) from the pump for use in street engines with a modified carb. or injection systems(some factory vehicles come with a flex fuel option). ethanol is a corn or other plant material type of alcohol.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:34 AM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

I'm with Nofear...inject it .
Old 01-01-2008, 03:08 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Is there really a power advantage to swapping to alky,all other things remaining the same?
Old 01-01-2008, 04:45 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by olds48
Is there really a power advantage to swapping to alky,all other things remaining the same?
Yes ! Put alky stuff on change plus and timing and go !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -