Cost of a 383 build

Old 11-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Pstocknova
SHOW GUEST

Default Cost of a 383 build

Running a dirt track car with the following rules.. Must have 12" vacume@ 1000 rpm, Cast iron heads, cast iron intake...stock valve covers.. stock ign... Right now we are running a 383 with 305 heads 2.02 & 1.60 Flat tops and not much else done to it... Looking for an engine builder that can give me a ballpark on pricing and what kind of HP they could build in the $5000 range... Looking for a complete new motor as the one we have now will be used for a spare.

Thanks !!!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:48 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Why 305 heads? Those are killing you. There are good aftermarket iron heads that will make a bunch more, if you are limited to factory heads even some vortecs would be better.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Pstocknova
SHOW GUEST

Well at the beginning of the year I misread the rules.. I thought it said stock heads. Got to the track and saw all the others running darts. Now I am wiser ! LOL
Old 11-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

Why build a whole new engine? Why not just swap heads? For that combo, a set of Platinumn 200's at 49cc, might be the best choice. Can the intake be ported? Thats the choke. If you can find a HP marine iron intake, those work well.

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com
Old 11-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Pstocknova
SHOW GUEST

Frank... Thanks for the reply.. I do have a tall marine intake on it now. using an 850 Eldelbrock Qjet. Lots of the guys are porting so I would say I can get away with. If useing the darts should they be ported or are they good enough out of the box? As for the new engine it looks like my son will be racing next year so I was going to start him off with the engine we are running now. Took a look at you site.. NICE.. As I said I am looking for a builder.. Interested? what kind of HP numbers are we looking at?

Thanks again, Scott
Old 11-22-2007, 06:10 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

You could get around 500 if you play your cards right. Run a cam with a wide LSA and you can get a bigger cam to have better vacuum. Probably could use around 230 to 240 @ .050 with 112 to 114 LSA and still get decent vacuum. Run a cam with as much lift as you can, roller is preferable. Use higher ratio rockers if you can. I would look at 200 to 215 runners with some minor pocket cleanup, keeping the velocity up. Ported if you can afford it. If you don't have already there are some good high output HEI's available.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Pstocknova
SHOW GUEST

Mark.. Thanks for the advise.. I have about $5000 in the budget for this motor.. While I want all the HP I can get I am thinking I would rather trade a little HP for parts that are going to last.. I only turn a max of 7000 RPM but need this motor to last.. I do freshen motors every season and once I have the base motor I can add HP ever year as money lets me..Is a REAL 500-550 HP motor doable in the $5000 range with good parts? Still looking for a builder that can be trusted, Any ideas?

Thanks again!!

Scott
Old 11-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

prstocknova, PM me Ive got a good, good friend thats great with stock car motors, Ill give you his ph# !!!!!!! David.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Pstocknova
SHOW GUEST

David.. i think I sent you a PM but it isn't showing in my sent folder
Old 11-24-2007, 10:25 AM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Pstocknova
David.. i think I sent you a PM but it isn't showing in my sent folder
It will not show in your sent folder until Racefab logs back on to the site and goes into his pm box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -