Best aluminum BBC street head for 496

Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 PM
keb1
APPRENTICE

Default Best aluminum BBC street head for 496

Finaly got my 496 BBC back from the engine builder (November 19th)
It was supposed to be done sometime in July.
Now I have all winter to replace the current heads,
My long range plans are to sell the car and buy a 32,33 Ford street rod
or maybe a nice early 50s Chevrolet truck.
I am going to turn my car it into a pro-street car (I hope easier to sell)
Also I can't afford to race anymore
Present car info:
*1955 Chevrolet 2 door hard top Be-Air.
*Full tube frame, lexan windows, tubular A arms -2,670 lbs.
*496 cu inch - Eagle competition rotating assy
*2 bolt ARP studded mains
*12.6 compression ratio
*Stock Chevrolet 990 cast iron retangular heads
*MSD crank trigger ignition
*Holley strip dominator intake
*Quick Fuel brand Holley @ 950 cfm
*2 1/8 dia headers
*Comp Cams solid roller @ 244 duration / .631 lift
Now for the question........
Can I run a high velocity Dart or equivalent oval port head
or.....
Something like a Dart, Brodix or Canfield small retangular port.
I don't want some race head that will be a dog on the street.
Any help from you guys will be gratly appreciated.
Keith B
Old 11-19-2007, 03:58 PM
lmchevy
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default heads

The dart pro1 310cc rectangle would be a good choice.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:21 PM
bubbabbc
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default #1 choice of cyl head

My first choice would be AFR 315cc CNC ported rect. head. AFR also offers an oval port head if you prefer that option.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

My vote, dollar/dollar, I don;t care what anyone else says, as I have used them all, the best head is a mildy ported Candield 310. For the money, they are a tough head to beat. I gaurentee, with a valve job, cnc chamber, and mild porting, they will make just as much power as the afr full cnc'd head, for a bunch less money, with future potential if you ever wanted it.

I would suggest a bit more camshaft though. Not sure what you driving plans are, but I use something in the 260 at .050 range for deals like this. The above heads, prepped by myself, a custom grind compo cam, RZ low lift lobes, to be easy on the springs etc, for street longevity, 10:, mild ported single plane, and they make over 700hp and 640 ft/lbs on 496's with an 850 carb and 2 inch headers.

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com
Old 11-20-2007, 09:36 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i will have to agree with Frank...the word 'MILDY PORTED" is very important here...make sure you trust your head guy..if he does too much work on those heads..its not gonna be good for the street....you would be better off with a cast set of good oval port aluminum heads before overkill port job...if it were my steet motor i would have the bowl work done and maybe port match the intake...if any port work other than this would be just rough up some sweet spots...if your head guy is good ..he will know where this blend should be.....and thats it...

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-20-2007, 10:00 AM
blue66
APPRENTICE

Brodix racerite oval would work nice, or the rect. too.
and have stock exhaust port locations.

If a raised port is ok, Canfield 310. (budget) raised .600

AFR 305's real nice head too. CNC chamber option a good idea.
Quite a bit less than the full cnc 315's. raised .300

496's can run pretty good.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:30 AM
bubbabbc
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default bbc heads

Frank &/or bjuice, approx what is the cost of a set of Canfield BBC heads that you described, ready to bolt on? This would include the labor for the porting, parts, and all checking and assembly. The reason I worded the question as I did, is because we always disassemble and check any heads before installing on engine.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

This is a case, where, like I said, the best choice is the 310 Canfield. I have built at least 20 big blocks in the last 5 years, as small as 461, and as big as 509, with these heads. If there is a roller cam involved, then the bigger head works best. I am a big fan of oval port heads for street engines and mild bracket engines, but, when you want the best of both worlds, even on 461 cunic inch, these heads work. 700hp is easy to make, with nearly 600 ft/ls even on a 461 10:1 pump gas engine. Bottom 10's at over 130, in a 3960 lb, all steel 70 Chevelle, stock suspension street car, with only 461 cubes, on pump gas, is plain fast. Don;t care what anyone says. Make it a 496 or a 509, and take 400-500 lbs out of the equation, and its a legit, real 9 second all motor pump gas combo, that is very street driveable.

To put that into perspective, that 496 combo, makes more power than gm's 572 engine, with a smaller cam, and not a dominator, on pump gas. Granted, the 572 inson't maxxed out, but neither is the 496/509

Like I said, the Canfields are the best deal out there. The heads for above, are in the $2000-$2200 ball park, ready to bolt on, depending on final configuration, and the parts used. Mainly valve springs, and they can vary but a lot in price, depending on which ones you use, and also if titaniumn retainers are used or not. Thats quality valves, ARP studs, comp guidplates, roller springs, custom valve job and guides sized, and some porting. They flow in the middle 360 to low 370 range on the intake, and 300 on the exhaust. And, at a later date, additional porting, will make them work well on 540-565 inch engines. I have made well over 900hp with the 310's worked hard, with a 2.30 intake, on the 540's-565's. Ports about 330cc, and over 400cfm. Its a great head thats very flexible, that works.

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com
Old 11-22-2007, 02:05 PM
bubbabbc
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default bbc heads

The 305 ARF heads are about $2100.00-2150.00 with quality parts, including springs for roller cam applications and guide plates with rocker studs.
Like you stated, titanium retainers and various upgrades are extra.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:37 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

I'll agree with Frank,
For the dollar and at the size you need, that Canfield is hard if not impossible to beat and it costs less too. John at Canfield is a firm believer in maintaining good velocity in the ports and doesn't go to city sewer sized ports to do it. They move lots of air for their small size and keep a pretty steady airspeed.

Frank's suggestions of the engine sizes those heads work better with is also dead right on the money.

Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -