Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cashiers check

Cashiers check

Question for anybody.I have a guy that wants to buy my car with a cashiers check.Is there any tips for me to make sure I dont get taken.I have never recieved one before.The buyer states he does not want to carry cash. Thanks for any input.

Administrator RACING JUNKIE
    If he don't want to carry cash have him bank wire the money to your bank account,But never let the car go until the check clears,Beware don't set your self up for a loss of your car,and your money
    There Is 1 Thing Better Than Cubic Inches,,,More Of Them

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    hello.i kinda had the same deal.i live in oklahoma and the buyer was in lower S.c. so we met in atlanta where my dad lives,but before that i had him send my bank a wire trans fer in good faith.and so my bank would have all his info.also had my bank check to make sure it wasnt a brand new checking acc. and then on delivery i took his check.any way hope this helps.

Senior Member EXPERT BUILDER
    ASK HIM TO GIVE YOU THE BANK'S NAME AND LOCATION THE CASHIERS CHECK WAS WROTE AT AND GET THE CASHIER'S CHECK NUMBER..SHOULD THEN BE ABLE TO CALL THAT BANK WITH THE CASHER CHECK NUMBER AND THEY WILL BE ABLE TO TELL YOU IF THEY ISSUED A CASHIERS CHECK TO THAT GUY AND THE AMOUNT;;I'VE DONE THIS ON 2 SELLS..FIRST CASHIERS CHECK WAS FAKE..BANK HAD NO RECORD OF ISSUEING IT SO THAT GUY WAS BUSTED BEFORE HE EVER GOT HERE..THE SECOND ONE BANK STATED THAT THEY DID ISSUE A CASHIERS CHECK WITH THAT NUMBER/AMOUNT/PERSON THAT PURCHASE IT..
    HOPE THIS HELPS

sorry for caps..didn't notice till done..i type with ine key at a time so takes to long to redo

yep Hot rod that is correct i have sold several items like that and he shouldn't have a problem giving you the info if he does then something isnt right and the bank will tell if he got the check there.
    I understand a lot of people like wire transfer but if you end up not taking the vehicle then you also have a chance of loosing your money or at the least a hard time getting it back

Member MASTER JOURNEYMAN
    i have a good friend that lost a $40,000.00 Firebird chassis car due to cashier checks and money orders being fake...in my opinion the safest way to do a transaction is to talk with your bank and let them set up a dummy account in your name and just let the banks handle the wire transfer..cost me $12.00 to do it this way..aslo by doing it this way no one get their hands on your REAL account numbers so you are protected..ive made several cash transactions, but if there are ever any reservations on either side this is the safest method..that way if there is funny business you have a paper trail to him..Good Luck

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    I like $100 bills--beware they can be fake too!

dont do it

make him wire the money from his bank to yours to many people making fake checks

this is true but i will not wire transfer my money into some one's account for something that i have not checked out either.
    And just like hot rod said if you call the bank they can tell you if they issued that check if he don't want to give that info then don't do the deal.
    i have purchased large ticket items like this and had no problems at all .

Wire transfer is the only way to go, to many fake checks!!
    Water is for racing and asphalt is for getting groceries!!!!