spark plug wires

Old 11-12-2007, 01:58 PM
wfge
APPRENTICE

Default spark plug wires

My dad and I put new wires on our 67 camaro, he left ordering wires up to me, I called Jegs and told salesman what I had (BBC-MSD7al2-ect..) and we agreed on a set of Taylor wires. We put them on and everything was good for a couple of races, then after the 3rd weekend-3rd round of eleminations the car was huffing raw fuel and black smoke out the exhaust, it was terrible, we fought this gremlin for weeks, getting pissed and walking away for a few days at a time :evil: , my dad was convinced it was the carb (AED) so he sent it to them and it came back ok, in the mean time we tried a diff carb and it did the same thing. I checked coil, msd box, dist, cap-rotor all good, other advice was way off base, finally I tested wires with an ohmn meter (never done that before) something was not right, bottom line wires were solid core :shock: , put some new msd wires on it and its all good now. ???why did they work for a short time ???
hard lesson learned btw my dad was so convinced it was the carb he even bought a new one and it did the same thing :roll:
Old 11-12-2007, 02:52 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Sometimes the soild core wires will interfere with the electronics and cause misfires.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:04 PM
wfge
APPRENTICE

no miss fire idled good ran good just was not burning fuel ET was off about .04-.05
Old 11-12-2007, 03:04 PM
rabiddawg
DYNO TECH

I had nothing but problems with taylor wires in the past
Old 11-12-2007, 03:43 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Did you have them tied together in any way ? I started using the Moroso Ultra 40 wires last year, more money up front but last longer.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:25 PM
wfge
APPRENTICE

the wires that failed were solid core-not msd compatible, they had no resistance with ohmn meter

I would like to know why they worked fine at first, why werent they a problem when we first put them on?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:52 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Did you get any good passes with them on? I have been running the Accel 8.8's under header style, with the high temp covers. Never had one problem with them.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Taylers SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! moroso's 40ohms per ft, msd 50ohms per ft. use em, I have and get GREAT LIFE OUT OF EM taylers worked at first because they were new! JUNK, JUNK,. dAVID,
Old 11-13-2007, 08:08 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default wires

Truth is that you cannot succefully, run solid core wires on any MSD system, they have to be spirial wrap wires, no matter who's brand you select. In fact you're lucky it didn't eat the MSD box, i did in the 80's from trying that with Taylor wires.
Spirial wrap period on MSD system.

JMO

Zip.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:22 PM
davebat
JUNIOR BUILDER

Agree, TAYLOR=Junk. Also, good point about making sure wires are not tied together. I see people tying wires together all the time, even good wires tend to arc when they get super hot, a little splash of moisture/oil.
A few months ago, my buddy's new accel (8mm i think) tied together, ran fine 1st heat, by the end of the feature he had high rpm miss. Just cutting the ties (no visible damage) cleared things up.