we are converted to alcohol !

Old 11-10-2007, 01:53 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default we are converted to alcohol !

[img][/img]

i am offcially on alcohol with the 67 camaro..i had the 454-r intake extensively ported,gasket matched,plenty of plentum work..etc...

got everyting hooked up today,,i drained the gas 112, put in my alcohol and ran thru lines (flushed system)..got fuel pump running adjusted fuel pressure to 7 lbs..checked for leaks...opps had one leak the front bowl of the carb was leaking..could not tighten up enough to stop it..took off front bowl and just inspected everything...put back on and "No leaks".....just got to add some water, replace the oil and i can fire her up...suppose to have a good warm week so next weekend could be my 1st alcohol pass..

ohh yes this is my new APD 1150 custom made alky carb !

(wife sneaked in a took the pic)

hey you alcohol guys listen and tell me something here..i had a 55 gallon drum of alcohol in my shop from when i sold fuel last year..i could not remember if i added the top lube to the drum sitting there..something told me i did becuase i smelled a faint smell of cherry or did i ??...so i put another bottle of m2 top lube cherry scent in the drum...but damn it smells so strong like cherry its un-real...

if i accidentally put two bottles in by accident..what could it hurt outside the guming effect ?..or do i just need to buy another drum of fuel (alcohol) and mix this drum in with it....but what if i only put one bottle in the 1st time..
i can't remember...need a little advise here since alcohol is all new to me.

thanks brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-10-2007, 02:34 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Brian that looks good and sounds good but do not drink any of your fuel. Well I cant wait to see what it runs now and I cant remember what I said it would run I will have to go back and find out. Well good luck on the new set up.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:46 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Brian,
That thing is looking SWEET, good luck next week end and keep us informed. I did trade the Nova for the Vega. Hope all goes well with it. I will have to get some pics your way. I am going to wait and put the engine in toward the beginning of the next season. I am going to rewire everything. Anyway, back to you and that Camaro, I see you running some 5.6's

Chris
Old 11-10-2007, 02:48 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Brian. I would be more concerned about 1 year old alcohol than i would top lube. The extra top lube wont hurt it, as far as the guming affect it will happen with one bottle too if you let the fuel set in the bowls a long time without firing the engine and letting it run awhile. The concern with the alcohol is if it sits around a long time it will condensate moisture into the fuel. I bought a drum of fuel from my guy one time that he had stored in a warehouse on a concrete floor over the winter. I changed every ignition part on the car tying to get rid of that high RPM pop and it turned out to be bad fuel. Dont buy a barrel this late in the year just buy fuel at the track and add oil per specs. ( about 1oz. per 5 gallons ) Don
Old 11-10-2007, 03:24 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: we are converted to alcohol !

Originally Posted by bjuice
[img][/img]

i am offcially on alcohol with the 67 camaro..i had the 454-r intake extensively ported,gasket matched,plenty of plentum work..etc...

got everyting hooked up today,,i drained the gas 112, put in my alcohol and ran thru lines (flushed system)..got fuel pump running adjusted fuel pressure to 7 lbs..checked for leaks...opps had one leak the front bowl of the carb was leaking..could not tighten up enough to stop it..took off front bowl and just inspected everything...put back on and "No leaks".....just got to add some water, replace the oil and i can fire her up...suppose to have a good warm week so next weekend could be my 1st alcohol pass..

ohh yes this is my new APD 1150 custom made alky carb !

(wife sneaked in a took the pic)

hey you alcohol guys listen and tell me something here..i had a 55 gallon drum of alcohol in my shop from when i sold fuel last year..i could not remember if i added the top lube to the drum sitting there..something told me i did becuase i smelled a faint smell of cherry or did i ??...so i put another bottle of m2 top lube cherry scent in the drum...but damn it smells so strong like cherry its un-real...

if i accidentally put two bottles in by accident..what could it hurt outside the guming effect ?..or do i just need to buy another drum of fuel (alcohol) and mix this drum in with it....but what if i only put one bottle in the 1st time..
i can't remember...need a little advise here since alcohol is all new to me.

thanks brian
BJ, i wouldn't worry about it if you had 2 bottles of top-oil in the drum, we hardly ever use any at all. If it does bother you just turn the pump off and run the engine until the fuel is empty in the carb and drain the back bowl. Hey what's with the Cheery effect, i use watermelon over here Hehe.
I do think you need to raise the fuel pressure up to 9lbs. though just to help keep up the volume.
I know that everyone does things differently, buts here's my routine after a racing week end. (not as easy with a carb),i shut off the pump and run the engine and injection dry, i have a quick disconnect before the pump, i pull it off and and poor in mineral spirits while turning over the engine until the mineral spirits come out of the injection system. That way the pump,valve body and nozzles are protected from green slime corosion which alcohol builds in the parts when setting. If i don't do this i'm cleaning th nozzles, before the car will make a decent pass, plus it cuts down on the cylinder rust from the alcohol water content. Same thing with the blower motor.

You may have to put turn-outs on your collectors, my car would make you blind from fumes during a pass with inside the frame headers before i put them on.

UH, what's C12? i haven't smelled any gas in the last 8 yrs.

you gonna luv alcohol and the response, not to mention the price difference in gas.

I say .015/.020 quicker maybe better on alcohol.

JMO

Zip.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:47 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I would not want to gum up the new fuel system and I for one do not like to run alky that has sat that long.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:42 PM
thetanman101
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by davis419b
Brian. I would be more concerned about 1 year old alcohol than i would top lube. The concern with the alcohol is if it sits around a long time it will condensate moisture into the fuel. Don
Quick question, but how much condensation could the Alky pull from the air space in a full, sealed drum? Not trying to second guess you, just want to make sense of this as I have some fuel that's been sitting almost a year.
-Tanner
Old 11-10-2007, 06:30 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by thetanman101
Originally Posted by davis419b
Brian. I would be more concerned about 1 year old alcohol than i would top lube. The concern with the alcohol is if it sits around a long time it will condensate moisture into the fuel. Don
Quick question, but how much condensation could the Alky pull from the air space in a full, sealed drum? Not trying to second guess you, just want to make sense of this as I have some fuel that's been sitting almost a year.
-Tanner
Good question so do i.

Zip.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:32 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

everyone has their own ideas and i DO NOT try to make any beans about it ..as always i appreciate opinions from everyone..

i would like to say i have been a VP fuel dealer as well as Suncoco...and don't bet your life your buying fresh fuel from the track when you go..

also Tanner i have heard the old fuel thing for years..and as i said before NO man is wrong in his way of handling his fuel business..

with that said i have run 112 supreme this year that was one year old and set a new ET record in my 67 camaro..

2nd all my fuels are sealed tigthly and draw no mositure from the air..also all VP containers have a built in Vinyl Liner..put there for a reason..

i have a drum of c-16 that has been sealed for 11 months and i will run this fuel also..

this is just my opinion on the fuel side of it...not Questioning ANYONE on their beliefs...

thanks to eveyone for all their opinions..,

ps...ZIP the top lube i use is the VP-M2..its got an additive that washes down your valve train, cylinder walls and aluminum parts so that it doesn't face the corrosion and other things that go along with alcohol....its great stuff....but damn if i'm not sick of that cherry smell already..and i think your right on the turnouts...

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-10-2007, 07:18 PM
gdmii
MASTER BUILDER

You're right about the cherry. After a weekend with that stuff I was ready for something else. Tried tangerine and it was sickening. Finally settled on grape. It smeels good and I don't get tired of it.

As far as the fuel thingy goes...if you've taken care to keep it sealed, and it sounds like you have, then run it. If it pops bangs and sputters then you might look at fresh stuff but I have used a drum in the spring that I bought the previous spring and had no problems. As far as the lube, don't sweat it. You might see just a hint of smoke if it's lubed heavy but it's no big deal unless you're running scads of timing but where you're at you'll be fine.

And just in case you forgot...5.75!!

George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -