Dyno

Old 11-09-2007, 04:10 AM
StrokedBBC
APPRENTICE

Default Dyno

My engine will be done this winter and i was thinking about putting it on a engine dyno just to get some of the bugs worked out of it so when spring gets here she'll be ready to go. I live close to Saginaw,Mi. is there someone on this site from Mi. that knows where there is an experienced dyno tech? And what can i expect to pay for this service?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:30 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

1st off WISE choice..please keep in mind that a dyno's primary purpose is to fine tune,breakin etc..many people get it confused with trying to see how much HP the mule can make..WRONG !.

after your dyno session and you take your motor home ..most likley it will sit for a few weeks to months before restarted..JUST MAKE SURE TO RE-PRIME THE MOTOR again before starting even though its been dynoed already..

i am sure someone will come along and drop you a name..do a little research and speak to the owner of the dyno and get his take on what should be accomplished on a dyno...

.....oh yeah down south..depending how long your motor is on the dyno you can expect $400 to $600 (high end)...for the cost.
time is money on the dyno.

good luck

Brian
Old 11-09-2007, 11:07 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
1st off WISE choice..please keep in mind that a dyno's primary purpose is to fine tune,breakin etc..many people get it confused with trying to see how much HP the mule can make..WRONG !.

Couldnt of said it better myself !! I normally pay $400-$600 depends on the time its on the dyno.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:12 PM
StrokedBBC
APPRENTICE

Hey hammertime i see your from MI. do you of a good engine dyno close to Saginaw?
Old 11-10-2007, 05:01 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I use a guy in Muncie Indiana and have used one outside of Toledo Ohio

Nyes Automotive in Muncie does good work
APD in Ohio is good
Level Perfromance in Femont ohio is also good

Nye's dyno made 960hp and ran 4.6's in my car, APD dyno made 971 and ran 4.8's, thats why I always dont trust the dyno #'s
If you want more info of any them places let me know.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:36 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
I use a guy in Muncie Indiana and have used one outside of Toledo Ohio

Nyes Automotive in Muncie does good work
APD in Ohio is good
Level Perfromance in Femont ohio is also good

Nye's dyno made 960hp and ran 4.6's in my car, APD dyno made 971 and ran 4.8's, thats why I always dont trust the dyno #'s
If you want more info of any them places let me know.

Hammer:...I'LL be dang if it ain't a small world ! ..2.5 yrs ago this month i found my complete 511ci from a guy in Muncie Indiana..his name was Ron Simon....i called him up and spoke with him on the motor..it was still in his 55 chevy..i told him do not remove ..i would drive up listen to motor then help him take it out....i left out of S.C. with wife and then 6 month old daughter on a Friday Night and left them with in laws in Knoxville TN....I drove straight thru from S.C. and stopped..I believe in INDY got a few hours sleep then went on into Muncie by NOON the next day....got there listened to motor..etc..helped him pull the motor out..the 55 was stock firewall and suspension ,,so we had to drop his rack and a bunch of there stuff..,,dropped the pan verified the crank,rods and pistons...and back home i went..of course i was running a little late because of the pull down in the 55 i did not expect..
Now here is the GOOD PART..he gave me the paper work on the motor and it was built BRAND NEW BY NYE'S AUTOMOTIVE AND DYNOED THERE ALSO..i still have all paper work....of course i freshened the motor up..

As a matter of fact Ron and i ran over to Nye's that afternoon for a 4500 carb plate he didn't have ..so i have personally been to Nye's Myself but for only 5 minutes...lol...

BUT AIN'T THAT A TRIP ?..small world huh?...Do you know Ron by chance ?..all i know there is a bunch of CORN FILEDS IN MUNCIE...LOL

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-11-2007, 11:57 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Thats a very small world lol
Do not know Ron but I'll promise you if Nye's built that motor it was very good. They did the motor in my dragster like I said above it made 960hp an ran 4.6's and the other one made more hp and was 2 tenths slower very very honest dyno they have. Heck to me Muncie is a big town, my neighbors are amish though

Kinda curious what did that motor make hp wise then ?
Old 11-11-2007, 02:45 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

it made 815 and 760 ft lbs of tq at 7100...this was with the heads as he had them..very mild bowl work and a basically off the shelf older Dominater....the motor was built new by them and only had approx 75 passes...according to ron..everything else panned out he told me so i have no doubt to question him..the only problem i saw with the motor when i met him at his house was 2 broke inner valves springs..and it still sounded great......i got the motor really cheap..$4500...sold the dist and the carb for $500.00..so i had 4k in the motor..
so i took the motor home and had my head guy do a number on the heads..based on what my head guy says this should have picked it up 40/50 hp conservative if not more......bottom end ,bearings,cam,evertying else was perfect in engine..looked new..

so after i had my head work done i would say it was making close to 850 hp or a little less with the team "g" intake and gas..based on what i have heard i can expect a little more out of the 454-r ( alot of work done) and alcohol..i hear more TQ than HP on the alcohol..

anyhow keep in mind this is a 512 series block..came out of the 68,69,70 chevelle bored .125 over with a callies stealth 4.25 stroke crank..

i have heard from tons of people that you cannot run a 454 block .125 over without hardblocking..but i am here to say i do..i have ran this motor for 2 seasons and can run back to back passes and it never gets over 180 degree's...as YOU KNOW I ALSO RUN THIS MOTOR ON THE STREET AS WELL..( short cruise inns only ..no loooong hauls) geared to low..

My motor guy said the 512 series block was one of the tougher ones to run and bore..he told me of a story about a mutual guy we know that ran one for 6 years spraying it 200.....oh yeah its a 2 bolt block also...

the way i look at it..i have alrerady got my moneys worth out of it..if the block went tommorrow..i still have a 4.25 stroke callies stealth crank,crower rods.....and the heads are jam up along with the new 454-r intake and carb..
(if nothing in the bottom end gets hurt)...top end will be fine regardless.

i have already spoken with Scotty Duggins owner of PAR RACE ENGINES..he tells me he can put me together a complete 565 or 582 short block (dart big "m" block) for $5500..just bring him the heads intake,,etc......

i will save all the parts i can out of the 511 and put a 488ci in my wifes camaro and put her 406 on the floor..

so i got a plan if something happens..

so far the little 511 has put my prostreet 67 camaro (3,004lb) at a 5.99et at 114 mph with a 1.32 60 ft..
alcohol and 454-r intake is next..what will the little BIG BLOCK run ?

we shall see very soon....

later Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 12-14-2007, 07:14 PM
chev67
SHOW GUEST

Default Re: Dyno

Originally Posted by StrokedBBC
My engine will be done this winter and i was thinking about putting it on a engine dyno just to get some of the bugs worked out of it so when spring gets here she'll be ready to go. I live close to Saginaw,Mi. is there someone on this site from Mi. that knows where there is an experienced dyno tech? And what can i expect to pay for this service?
yes you can call AA MACHINESHOPII CO in davison mI 810 653 1891 talk to tim/steve they have a eng dyno and chassie, they have ben there for 20 years
Old 12-15-2007, 05:38 AM
dudezz502
SHOW GUEST

I agree, call AA machine shop in davison. Very nice people to deal with, and great at what they do. Money well spent.