Hilbourne Injection System

Old 11-04-2007, 02:09 PM
racroom
JOURNEYMAN

Default Hilbourne Injection System

Can anyone tell me the best way to adjust an alcohol injection system. Also the best way to tell if the barrel valve is adjusted right.
Thanks
Ray :?
Old 11-04-2007, 04:23 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Zipper06 will check in soon and he will be able to help you with stack injectors. He is the man !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 04:18 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

The Hillborn,kinsler, bug,catchers,ron's toilets,,,all of these injections operate from a by-pass system, barrall valves, ( possibly high speed by pass) main jet and port nozzels...all of this will come into play when tunning your set up.....

the by pass system is opposite of what you think the larger the main jet the leaner the fuel flow.....the barrall valve is normally adjusted with a leakdown tester..example mine was set at 75%...it all depends on your set up..if i were you i would call Hillborn and speak with their PRO and see what he says about your intitial tune up..i would write down his info and get on the phone and call Jim at enderle Injection in California...
once you get them close its nothing but a matter of moving a main jet either up or down (lean/rich)...
but it can be really puzzling from the very start...

this is my experience from injections....once Jim helped me get close with my main jets,nozzles,barrall valve..the tunning was a CINCH...

i would also recommend exhaust gas senors,,on the header primaries,,they have a probe that you drill a 1/4 hole in primary and it band clamps on or you can weld in the Bung type..i used the computech in the past....you WILL need to know what your exhaust gases are at WOT to know how rich or how lean you really are.

good luck.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-05-2007, 08:48 AM
racroom
JOURNEYMAN

This is the first of these type system that I have ever run . How do you check the leakdown on the barrel valve? I talked to Hilbourne in Cali and they said that all my number pretty much matched up for the alcohol system. On this one when I start it there is fuel coming out of the zoomie headers, what is that to much fuel and how do i correct it.
Thanks
Ray
Old 11-05-2007, 09:54 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i would call them up and suggest what type of leakdown they recommend with their set up with your set up..i said call Jim but more i think of it you need to call hillborn back...they should be able to tell you more then they did before..
raw alcohol coming out of the zoomies could be a numbers of things.
-#1- THE 3 way shut off not working properly or your not leaning out the motor enough before killing the switch..this is done By cutting off the fuel manully with the 3 way shut off, motor running just when you hear the motor idel up kill the switch..your burnning off the excess fuel in the cylinders when doing this.IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS then your gonna have raw fuel dumped into your cylinders and when you start the car its gonna thro it out the zoomies like a rain shower.remember you have a manual fuel pump and it will pump fule as long as you motor is spinning over.

#2- i DO NOT SEE how hillborn could honeslty tell you your leakdown is set proper if they did not set it themselves....check out their web page it will show you a pic of the leakdown tester...

#3- you could be just too FAT (RICH) ..meaning too big of nozzles,too rich of main jet...and could have too big of pump..i ran into this when i placed a 110 pump and needed an 80a..

this subject is wide open and you have symptoms of all the above to me,

.as i said they are a bitch to get set up but when you do they are really tame..thats why you need someone such as JIm from enderle that has seen almost everykind of injection come thru...he can get you very close 1st time out..

but before you go doing any of this..ask yourself how you are starting and shutting down this system ...this is a big key in how much fuel is in the exhaust tubes without changing the world..

MY experience here only.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-05-2007, 05:22 PM
dragsterdoug
SHOW GUEST

The best advice I can give you is to join Harvey Race Engines .com
(hre.com)

Best $40.00 you could invest. I have run a Hilborn inj. for 20 years. Don't be scared of it. Don't listen to every Tom, Dick or Harry that comes along.
On HRE everyone is helpful and has a lot of knowlege. No idiots allowed.
They don't knock ya for asking elementry questions.
Also, there is a guy on there (Spud) who has a business setting up inj and magnetos. Real good, honest also. I had my stuff flowed last winter and was treated fairly. You should really have the system flowed so you know where you are at. ithout having it flowed you are in the dark.
feel free to contact me for more info.
dragster doug
Old 11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

What type of air induction system do you have ( stack injectors or a hat)?What is the history on this system? Did you just buy this set up or did you buy a car with this set up on it? I have seen many people total screw the barrel valve up trying to set it by ear. Bjuice is right you cant go any farther till you get the barrel valve set properly. I always ran a Rons system. The only problem i ever had with it is it had a checkball valve in the return line which kept the fuel from bleeding off from the barrel valve and lines which stuck closed one time and would not return fuel which made the engine go dead rich. If the barrel valve is too rich you will be dumping fuel out of the headers. Dont be intimadated by the barrel valve if you buy a leakdown tester and use it correctly you will only have to set it one time on this combination. After that you put the right nozzels in there and all you need is a jet for hot weather bad air and one for cool weather good air. The EGT if you get one will tell the exhaust temp and based on that you will know what jet to run. Sorry for such a long answer but that is really all there is to it. Its simple once the barrel valve is correct! Oh buy the way put the 40 bucks into a leakdown tester it will get you much farther along!
Old 11-06-2007, 03:56 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Hilbourne Injection System

Originally Posted by racroom
Can anyone tell me the best way to adjust an alcohol injection system. Also the best way to tell if the barrel valve is adjusted right.
Thanks
Ray :?
You didn't say if you're running stacks or a hat????,

But the initial setting for stacks on the leakdown is 24lbs./% on a hat it should be set at 30lbs/%, and you adjust down from there, we're running stacks on (4) 434"'s and a toilet bowl on another engine and all the setting vary a little, but most run good at 21 PSI/% leakdown, my bowl runs best at 18 PSI/%. I start with the initial setting and adjust down until the idle is right and when the throttle is cracked there's no stutter. In fact a lot of times i don't even use the leakdown tester. In a day 40 yrs. ago we didn't know what a leakdown tester was. Now if you're running blown that's a totally difference animal
A lot of people make the mistake of not running an idle bypass valve, that's what the hole in front of the barrel valve is for. The by-pass valve comes with a 15lb spring and as soon as you crack the throttle at 15% it closes off the by-pass hole in the barrel valve, same as a hat. Most of the pumps produce 100PSI at 4000 pump RPM. The larger the pump IE 80A vs 110 the 110 has more volume but can easily be run but will require a larger return pill. I run the 110 on my blown alky motor, but DSR's on the stacks.

Really need more imfo on what your system is, stacks,hat,bowl, pump size nozzle size, cu.in.

Just my opinion

Zip.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 PM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

Is there anyone that runs an injected program that you know or kind of know in your area?

If you can talk with them to go over the basics, show you hands on examples.

Once someone shows you the basics then when you start looking for help, the suggestion makes sense..Good Luck
Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 AM
racroom
JOURNEYMAN

Default hat injector

Originally Posted by dak697
Is there anyone that runs an injected program that you know or kind of know in your area?

If you can talk with them to go over the basics, show you hands on examples.

Once someone shows you the basics then when you start looking for help, the suggestion makes sense..Good Luck
It is a hat with 2 big butterflies and after I get it adjusted then I need to work on a problem about the gas pedal being so hard to press down. With it not running the pedal can be pressed with one finger, with it running you gave to kick it with your heel just to get it going.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -