how to get dart pro1 345 work with my 454

Old 10-30-2007, 05:13 PM
prostreethauling
SHOW GUEST

Default how to get dart pro1 345 work with my 454

:? This is my first time on the forum so I am going to be a little slow so forgive me. I just chassis dynoed my 454 .030 over motor and came up with 500 horsepower at the wheels with only 433 torque . The dyno guy said it is a nice curve on both horsepower and torque but I feel the torque is low.I have pro 1 345 because the were a nice deal on them ,Victor junior 454R . I was running a 1 inch open spacer was thinking of changing to a wilson tapered 1 or 1.5 spacer can anyone give more insite
Thanks [/code][/quote]
Old 10-30-2007, 09:27 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Welcome to the furom,
The heads are on the big side as far as port volume goes. Those heads would be better suited on a bigger cubic inch motor like 540 and up. I would take the 1 inch open spacer off and just bolt the carb straight to the manifold, or put a 1 inch 4 hole spacer on, something to increase torque and your carb signal.
Your heads are killing your torque, its a classic case of bigger is not always better senario.
You might want to consider stroking your motor out to a 496( 4.25) or a 540 (4.50) if you every intend on getting any power out of them high flowing heads. Or you could just get some smaller heads.
Goodluck, Charles
Old 10-31-2007, 02:36 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

What carb are you running ?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:56 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

A big shot of nos would take care of the low tq number :lol: . Those heads are too big really. The car won;t accelerate, and yank the car on the gear changes. This is a case where good power on the dyno, won;t translate to good et. I have seen it a lot. Shops keep going bigger and bigger, ot get air flow numbers on the flow bench, but the cars don;t run what would be considered correct et's and mph, for what the heads flowed, and, what the engine actualy made on the dyno. Epoxy in the runner, to shrink it up, would be the only way to make those heads work, but, they would work good then. Port them fully, get the airflow numbers up, then fill them in, to get the "velocity" right, with the goal to loose as little flow as possible, and they would rock. This is what I call being creative. I do this from time to time, when someone is willing to pay for the work.

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com
Old 10-31-2007, 03:44 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I got some bone stock 074 aluminum heads I'll trade ya. 8)

:P jk
Old 10-31-2007, 05:14 PM
prostreethauling
SHOW GUEST

Default carb size

I am using an 850 reworked by pro systems, the carb was right on the money air fuel mixture wise . The funny thing about the torque curve it climbed all the way to 5800 until it started dropping . The guy who built the motor said that is what they strive for a long torque curve . I am going to run it next year and try suttle changes that people may suggest.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:29 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

These heads are on the big side for a 454 but it depends on the intake valve size,are they 2.25" or 2.30" intake valves. If they are 2.25" intakes valves you could make these heads work but it would be a higher rpm engine with a big cam and lots of compression. What size cam do you have? How much compression are you running? If they have a 2.30" intake valve then the valves would be shrouded in the cyl. You would have to bore and stroke this puppy out to at least a 496 with a big cam and lots of comp. and a 1050 carb. You should make 800hp then but it all depends on your budget and intention of this engine.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:54 AM
prostreethauling
SHOW GUEST

The valves are 2.30 and the cam is a .660/.666 solid roller comp cam and the piston are a 2456 speed pro LS6 or LS7 piston I cant remember. I asked the motor guy he said compression is over 12.1 but I talked with other people and they said only around 11.5 to 11.7. The heads were cut and the block has a .010 deck to piston clearance. Its a street car that I hope to run 10.5 or quicker . It has a four link so If I get it to hook and put the car on a diet I think i can get there. thanks