Taller engine fit in a 68 Camaro SS stock hood?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:09 PM
r8ceredy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Taller engine fit in a 68 Camaro SS stock hood?

Restoring my 1968 Camaro SS back to a BBC. Curious if anyone has a BBC with a taller deck block or a stock deck block with a taller aftermarket intake like a Edelbrock Victor or Super Victor while retaining the factory SS hood. Very hard to find info out there as to clearances under the hood and I hate to pony up the money to get a new intake and get it port matched only to find out I can't close the hood :cry:
Let me know what you got
Thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 09:19 PM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

I would doubt it if you use such a tall intake witha dominator, then an airfilter.... I would doubt it on a standard deck as well....
best to do some carefu measureing... or if you are in good with the local speed shop guy, order the intake you want, and with the motor in the car, set the new intake on top and see if it all will fit. If not return the intake.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:05 PM
r8ceredy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by mcracecars
I would doubt it if you use such a tall intake witha dominator, then an airfilter.... I would doubt it on a standard deck as well....
best to do some carefu measureing... or if you are in good with the local speed shop guy, order the intake you want, and with the motor in the car, set the new intake on top and see if it all will fit. If not return the intake.
I suppose that old "measuring" thing probably would work better than the "buy and pray" method eh? ops: ops: ops: ops:
Old 11-17-2007, 05:53 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

YOU COULD JUST PUT IT IN AND KEEP SLAMMING THE HOOD DOWN TILL IT LATCHES ops: ops: ops: ---ONLY KIDDING!!!!--LIVELY
Old 12-25-2007, 02:11 PM
kw89425
MASTER BUILDER

i have a 68 with standard block and not a real tall intake i have a 4" hood and i can look up through the fenderwell and see almost all of the breather is up inside the hood with a 2" hood you have to use a very thin breather.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:14 AM
insane4fbodys
SENIOR BUILDER

Unless your going to build a all out race motor. Use a standard deck and if you have rectangular heads, get a factory HiPo aluminum intake. They made good power and fit under the factory hood with 3" drop base filter with a holley carb. Just a thought.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:25 AM
strokercamaro
APPRENTICE

I had to use a stock style gm intake and a factory drop base air cleaner to ge it in there. I had the stud to long and put a dimple in my ss hood, so I went to a factory cowl hood.
Greg