Whats the opinions of this roll cage??

Old 10-21-2007, 12:47 PM
bignastygs
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Whats the opinions of this roll cage??

I am currently updating my car to a 12 point cage and am going to go this route mostly. I am doing something a bit different though. I am putting a crossmember across the frame below the floor pan so I can weld my main hoop and smaller bars onto it instead of using 6x6 plates welded to the floor area. Eventually,I will back half my car so the front crossmember will already be installed.
[img][/img]
Old 10-21-2007, 02:03 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

From what I can see it looks nice. However, I don't like the dash bar location, I like to tie that into the front strut tubes as close to the fire wall as I can get it and it needs lower bars along rocker panel unless there already, hard to tell from the photo.... I tied my main hoop into the crossmember instead of using plates. Of course now I'm back having the car and going to four link suspension and the crossmember has to be moved or an additional one added.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:21 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Looks good so far. I will agree about the bar under the dash. Are you sure it will not hit your legs?

I like the tubular gussets in the corners instead of the triangle plate gussets. Good show there.

Ed
Old 10-23-2007, 04:16 PM
PartyTimeRacing
SHOW GUEST

Default Roll Cage

The workmanship and welding looks good, apparently MIG welded. However, I'm in agreement with the other posts about the dash bar. Also, it seems that the positioning of the front "Down Bars" were the cause of the problem with the dash bar. The Down bars need to follow as closely as possible with the "A" pillar through a hole in the top of the dash. This would have allowed you to tuck the dash bar up under the dash instead of at your kneecaps. It's also a good idea also to brace the down bars to the "A" pillar as this would help stiffen up the front of the body. Additionally, the door cross bar might be too low if it doesn't pass halfway between the driver's shoulder and elbow. The straight tubing spine brace might make it difficult to get a seat into the car in a position that makes this car comfortable for you to drive. I believe that the requirement might be .125" wall mild steel tubing in 1.75" OD.

FWIW

Lou
Old 10-23-2007, 04:49 PM
bignastygs
SENIOR BUILDER

Sorry guys... I have been so busy working on my 1973-1975 Buick GS web page, I inadvertantly missed replying to this thread. The above car is a friend on another website I visit alot. I was just looking to see the consensus of the racers thought about this typically for my car. I have a Buick as well and liked the layout of this bar system. I talked to Steve about his car(above) and he indeed switched the knee knocker bar up out of the way.I am indeed adding rocker bars and the bar across the dash will be above the steering column or maybe bent in a U shape under the steering column. Since I am running a stock dash,I don't want to think of impossibilities of putting it under the dash.I am doing something a little off compared to alot of guys. I am adding a crossmamber under neath the car so I can weld the main hoop and short bars to so I wont have to weld the 6x6 plates in the floor to attach the short bars to. In a year or so I hope to have enough coin to get me a rear back half kit and I can weld that to the existing crossmember I am installing.I can only hope my car comes out 1/2 as nice as this car. Sorry if I misled anyone. My car will be a red/orange when its finished.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 PM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

Hi bignastygs
I assume the buick is a full frame car, like a chevelle...
you do not need rocker bars since you have a frame there, good shape I hope... and the roll cage is required to be welded to the frame and not 6x6 plates as in camaros.
Main xmember is a good idea, to tie the frame together and give you a mount for future modifications.
A dash bar is not required for a car with stock firewall and floor.
good luck
Old 10-24-2007, 02:05 AM
bignastygs
SENIOR BUILDER

Ed,
yes its a full frame car like a Chevelle. My reasoning for the rocker bars is I have 9 lb VFN glass doors and thought it would add strength to the door area. I want to go somewhat like the white cars door bars as I am 6'1 290lbs and it will make it easier to exit. The dash bar is being considered for the reason that I can mount the tach and a small fan on it and the coolness factor. I haven't gotten that far yet,so that may be eliminated if I can't get it up out of the way to miss my knees. Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys keep them coming.
Pat