Is a 3500 lbs car too heavy for a glide?

Old 10-13-2007, 10:05 PM
kwillymac
JOURNEYMAN

Default Is a 3500 lbs car too heavy for a glide?

Just wondering.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Not if its built right!!! David.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:34 PM
elkymann
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Glide in a sled

Mac,

My Elky now weighs in with me in it at 3728 and I am still adding weight, but, it keeps going faster and faster with my chassis setup and it is all still a stock frame!!! Of course it has some power to it and, I would recomend a 1.80 straight cut gearset in it if your going to add any big power to it. I run in the 9's and it has more in it still and on all motor. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Elkyman
John
Old 11-09-2007, 01:16 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

A glide will almost always be faster than a 3spd, if you have a decent amount of power and enough stall. What are you puting it in, and engine specs, gear ratio?
Old 11-17-2007, 06:03 AM
drspeed113
SHOW GUEST

Default too heavy for a glide?

As a "racing" transmission builder I hear this question "all" the time.
Is X# too heavy for a "Glide"?
Please think about this for one second, what did the "Glide" come in from the factory?
General motors engineer's designed the powerglide to work in their vehicles (big heavy Impala's etc.), and for the most part those cars were heavy then as they are now.
Racing or not the transmission does not know the difference.
Bottom line is this the powerglide is a very lethal part of any drivetrain that operates in drag racing...
Your biggest advatage would be build the engine to produce a whole lot of torque and put the right parts in your powerglide, shift from low to high and win races....
"Doctor Speed"
p.s. you can see my ads at MIR, and Capitol raceway both tracks are in Maryland, hope this info was helpful thank you...