Old 10-07-2007, 03:44 PM
marshalllhancock
SHOW GUEST

Default Billy Glidden / Mike Hill Grudge Race

Phenix City Alabama
October 7, 2007

Billy Glidden 2450 lbs Street Outlaw 10.5 Mustang 404ci smallblock
Mike Hill 3000 lb Outlaw 10.5 Mustang

Both drivers went to the line to make a test hit before the 2 out of 3 race was supposed to begin. Mike Hill's Mustang broke a nitrous solenoid while going through the guns at the starting line so they sent Glidden on a single.

Glidden Single

Reaction .519
60 foot....1.06
330 et.....2.91
660 et.....4.59
MPH... YOU READY FOR THIS?
130 mph...
Word from the top end of the track is he clipped it aprox. 100 feet from the end

Hill unloaded the ADRL extreme 10.5 Vette to make some test runs while the crew tried to repair the Mustang. On his first pass in the Vette, the car spun the tires about 20' of the staring line. He backed up and tried again with the same result and then just drove to the other end without trying to make it recover.

1st of the Match races between the Mustangs

GLIDDEN.. HILL
Reaction.. .475 .464
60 foot..... 1.05 1.14
330 et...... 2.91 3.11
660 Et...... 4.43 4.79
MPH..........165 132

I heard that there was a very heated discussion among the racers and that Mike Hill was now bringing out the ADRL Vette with BB Fulton power for the next race.

The word online is that the advertised 2 out of 3 race was over but the only word that I got was about the test pass and the the first match up. I am not sure if Hill pulled the Mustang out of the race or if I missed some other information. The bet/match may have upped the ante against the Vette.

I have heard that Glidden's car can get below 2300 lbs and I am sure that the ADRL Vette is about the same. I hope for Mike's sake he gets the Vette hooked because Glidden has that little black Mustang dialed in. I will post the results of this race as soon as I get the word from the track. I am kicking myself for not making the trip over to see this race.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:52 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Keep it coming that's good stuff.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:11 PM
marshalllhancock
SHOW GUEST

The official ruling was that the first "test" pass was considered by Glidden to be the first official pass so they took the credit for the win. Glidden declared that he didn't need a test pass but to the best of my knowledge, this was after Mike had problems with the nitrous system.

Hill and Glidden lined the Mustang and the Vette up for a final exhibition pass for the fans and left close together. Mike lost a little traction in the first 100 ft so Glidden had a little better numbers early on but then Hill really started applying the power. Glidden got a little out of shape on the big end and Hill crossed the stripe at 4.4x to Gliddens loosing 4.79.

Many will say that the ADRL car should be faster than that and it is on most tracks but he was off considerably with a 1.12 60' from a little tire spin.

The final word on the official winner is Billy Glidden in the 2 out of 3 race and Mike Hill won the race with the cars at similar weight.

I thought from the start that 2450 is a lot to give someone like BG when ORSCA requires small block cars to weigh at least 2700 and possibly 2800 wtih a clutch but I am not sure about the additional weight for the clutch. Mike Hill's car was set up just like he runs all ORSCA events and I think BG was setup for the FFW rules.

It was a great turnout and the real winners were the promoters and the track since the pits and stands were full of spectators and both racers had a safe race. Really in the grand scheme of things, they were both winners I guess.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:17 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks for keeping us posted Marshall
Congrats go out to Bill and Shannon for another job well done!
Old 10-07-2007, 07:32 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Thanks for that brother I did enjoy that. You can do that for us next time too.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:03 AM
marshalllhancock
SHOW GUEST

Your very welcome guys. I felt like this info was to good not to pass on. My hat is off the Billy Glidden. That is one bad little small block. To run 4.40's with a cast manifold and 2 foggers is insane. They really have that combo figured out.

I was supposed to be at the NMRA world finals since we were in the top 10 in OL 10.5 but my uncle passed away so I felt like I needed to be here on Saturday for the funeral. I have been trying to see the results of that event to see if we squeeked by in the top 10 but after watching qualifying, it doesn't look good for us.

I will be happy to post any info that I have next time there is a big grudge race or event in our area but hopefully, we will have our little black coupe there then.

I am a RacingJunk addict so it was only right to post this info here...lol

Race Safe Guys and we will talk later.

marshall