Thinking of relocating

Old 10-04-2007, 02:35 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Thinking of relocating

What's the job market like out there? Michigan basically SUCKS! Thinking of moving to a different state and start over, but where? Like to keep the same position I have now, or something better. I've been in a off-road shop for almost 2 years now doing all kinds of lifts, fab work, wheels/tires, alignments and everything else that comes in. Work has been slim at best for months now, most of the time I can't even afford food let alone putting a nickel into any type of projects.

Am ASE Master certified if it makes a difference. If you know of someone or anything, or know of a nice area, like to leave the snow, for the most part anyway. Arizona actually sounds somewhat tempting.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:43 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

No doubt in my mind South Carolina or N.Carolina....we have the best of both worlds down here...close to MOUNTAINS,BEACHES, in the right area of state no hurricanes, no major Tornadoes like you see out West..the winters are not too harsh if we are luckey the ground may get a very light covering and gone the next day...

the job market is decent and a vast majority to choose from in your field of work..Many auto dealerships, Off-Road sotres and maintenance..bunch of that good ole boy rock climbing stuff,,,you have many fab shops around such as Tommy Mauney for example....

we have no crazy car inspection laws...i have contact with many people in trying to get you hooked up..as a matter of fact a friend of mine is looking for a frame aligment machine operater..the job pays decent....our cost of living is pretty low...

Give the two Carolina's some consideration..

i have a very close contact with a lady working with the employement security commision..Renee has been there 30 yrs..so i can get you in line on something if yoiu see something you like..

here is the link....when you pull up the state i live in the Greenville,Spartanburg,Anderson area's...

http://www.sces.org/

thanks brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-04-2007, 04:56 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

That actually sounds very tempting. Thought about that area too. The only problem I'm going to have is leaving this area. Been here 40 years. Also need to find a home, and a shop/garage I can put all my car/truck junk.

Thanks Brian! I'll keep you posted, thanks for the help. 8)
Old 10-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

jbsjunk, Hi david here,Im moving down to N.Carolina,burlington area for the same reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HATE SNOW,HIGH TAXES,NO WORK(FOR WIFE) IM SELF EMPLOYED ,INVOLVED WITH RACECARS,AND ENGINES, ETC... iTS A LITTLE HARD TO DO YOU THINK BUT START THE PROCESS AND IT GETS EASIER FAST!!!!!!!!!! IM JUST IN THE MIDDLE NOW!! i LOVE IT iM SO HAPPY i COULD SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PM ME OR CALL ID BE HAPPY TO TALK TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!! David.1-585-787-9639-h .
Old 10-05-2007, 05:34 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

Thanks guys! Anyone got a room/place to rent along with some shop space if I decided to go that way? You're making the choice easy, and I like Brian's connections. Nothing's set in stone, kind of a feeler, but if I get any more 20 hour weeks, I'm gonna scream. :evil:
Old 10-06-2007, 01:46 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I would say no to Az. I lived there for over 20 yrs. until the early 90's, but in the last 10 yrs. property values have gone thru the roof, with lot's of people moving from Ca. to Az.
I don't know about BJ's area but here in La. and in Ms. a ASE certified can make $20.00/$30.00 and hr. and work all the overtime they want to. Example an out of school beginner at the GM dealership in Vicksburg starts at $20.00 plus incentives, with up to 50hrs a week. The other thing is if you have desiel experience, you will never have to want for a job in the south because of all the farming. I don't know how that is in BJ's area, because it's been 40yrs since i lived over there. But the south needs good techs, because the computer cars put the shade tree mechanics out of business.
I don't know what the property taxes are in BJ's area, although i have relatives living in Anderson, but haven't talked to them for yrs. In Ms. i have a rental property valued at $150,00.00 and i pay around $600.00 anuelly, in La. where i stay most of the time my taxes are free up to $75,000.00 due to homestead, leaving me less than $200.00 per yr. My Daughter lives in a Chicago surburb, in a Condo 1050 sq ft and pays $2700.00 per yr. taxes plus personal property tax.
The food cost the same here as in Michigan,but no $500.00 heating bills, but everything else is cheaper by a bunch. You can buy a pretty nice 1500sq ft house with a little land for $100,000.00. In 2004, i bought a 1452 sq ft house 1 acre land with a 34X66 metal shop (bank repo) for $50,000.00, spent $3,000.00 fixing up the house, new carpet,etc. and it was appraised at over $100,000.00 in Nov. 2006.
I guess what i'm trying to say is you can make money in the south with your knowledge and live very well, no matter which area you choose.

JMO

Zip.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:28 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i agree wirth ZIP..its the same here..in S.C.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-07-2007, 06:03 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Hey Jeff, If you do not think the Carolinas would be for you then consider North Georgia..We have one of the largest Tractor Trailer fleets in the US due to this being the Carpet Capital of The World...Lots of jobs to be had and the taxes are fair and the food cost are reasonable...Brian and I live within a 1 day drive of 2/3 of the US so everything is convenient...However, I have seen 2 feet of snow here once and 11 below zero so we do have a cold snap from time to time, but it is very seldom that bad...I can teach ya how to speak southern YA"LL
Old 10-21-2007, 06:52 AM
thetanman101
JUNIOR BUILDER

East Tx. would also be a good area for you. Mudding and rock climbers are huge around here. Especially the mud pit trucks. Snows about two days every three years. Piney woods all around. Housing is amazingly cheap compared to most other areas. Lots of oilfield work and workers, and they like to spend money on their toys!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:39 PM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

Alot of good advice here, thanks y'all! 8)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -