Newbie Help here. Please.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Quickviii
SHOW GUEST

Default Newbie Help here. Please.

Hey, I need a education here. Now bear in mind I am not a kid but am involved with the import drag race scene. I have designed , built and won a national championship title with a All Motor front wheel drive tube chassis car. It was a family team effort and now find myself looking to step up. I am no longer part of that team and need your advice. I want to run the newest class in our sport. "Extreeme Dragster", this is of course based on a dragster chassis and expected to run in the 6's in the 1/4 mile. Now I have never run close to these times, personal best was years ago in a friends frt engine dragster 8:53 et. I need your help figuring out the correct chassis I should use. 225", 235", longer etc. Also hardtail, 4 link or slider. I can easily build a 1500 to 1600 HP engine with a turbo setup. would expect to run a glide or an air shifted clutchless trans. The car shouldn't leave hard because there won't be alot of HP till it builds boost, so if that makes a difference in chassis design that info should help. It is going to be on a budget at first so if you guys could lend me a bit of your knowledge, it would at least save me some money getting the right chassis set up to start out with. Looking to purchase a used roller and install my engine setup and go racing. Sounds easy doesn't it. Yeh right. Thanks in advance. Oh and anyone out there interested in jumping into the import scene and teaming up with me, you are welcome. especially if you have some equipment or xtra cash laying around!!
Old 09-28-2007, 04:14 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

http://www.lanningracing.friendpages.com/

hammertime will be along soon that's his website off his profile and I will pm him for you. Also I would just like to say welcome to the rj fun forums.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:35 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Newbie Help here. Please.

Originally Posted by Quickviii
Hey, I need a education here. Now bear in mind I am not a kid but am involved with the import drag race scene. I have designed , built and won a national championship title with a All Motor front wheel drive tube chassis car. It was a family team effort and now find myself looking to step up. I am no longer part of that team and need your advice. I want to run the newest class in our sport. "Extreeme Dragster", this is of course based on a dragster chassis and expected to run in the 6's in the 1/4 mile. Now I have never run close to these times, personal best was years ago in a friends frt engine dragster 8:53 et. I need your help figuring out the correct chassis I should use. 225", 235", longer etc. Also hardtail, 4 link or slider. I can easily build a 1500 to 1600 HP engine with a turbo setup. would expect to run a glide or an air shifted clutchless trans. The car shouldn't leave hard because there won't be alot of HP till it builds boost, so if that makes a difference in chassis design that info should help. It is going to be on a budget at first so if you guys could lend me a bit of your knowledge, it would at least save me some money getting the right chassis set up to start out with. Looking to purchase a used roller and install my engine setup and go racing. Sounds easy doesn't it. Yeh right. Thanks in advance. Oh and anyone out there interested in jumping into the import scene and teaming up with me, you are welcome. especially if you have some equipment or xtra cash laying around!!
I personally would go with a 245 to 255" car with some shocks the long wheel base will help with that kind of Horsepower. The shocks will help in a few different way 1- Stopping the car a suspended car will not bounce like a hardtail or slipjoint car will. 2. They are far easier to tune 3. A suspended car will go down every track a hardtail will not. In your case I really like it for the stopping ability. When buying a used car the key things to look at it year I'd by something in the 2000's if money is there the newer the better, 2nd thing ask the owners if it was trailered with a chassis pad, if not pass on it 1 trip home from the track without one is like 500 passes down the track, 3rd comfort in the cockpit a major thing I wont buy a car with under a 22" cage and I am not a very big guy need to be able to get the shoulder down in the seat to many guys can not do this. Shouldnt take 1500hp to send a 1900lb dragster into the high 6's 1150hp goes 7.1's @ 2000lbs.
If I can help let me know
Old 09-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Quickviii
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the advice and the quick response. Was afraid you guys would hold the "import thing" against me. lol. Also to pick your brain some more, how about the difference with a 4 link and a swing arm type of rear susp? Is one more tunable than another? :?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:36 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Only difference I see is no side to side movement with the swingarm which you might get a lot of with that much power. If you choice to get a 4 link make sure it has a anti-roll on it.