Tall deck block question for you builders HELP PLEASE

Old 09-20-2007, 12:08 PM
r8ceredy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Tall deck block question for you builders HELP PLEASE

I thought I had a 496 combo all thought out and ready to pull the trigger, when lo and behold I stumble upon a 10.2 tall deck Dart short block. According to my math, by the time I take my 4 bolt 454 BBC and have the machine work done and purchase the Eagle rotating assembly, I will have almost as much invested as some of the dart short blocks on ebay from Dyno-Flo and others like auction# 300153446359. I know I will have to go to a tall deck intake manifold, which all seem to require a dominator carb, but what about heads? I have a fresh set of Edelbrock RPM aluminum 290cc heads that I think would have worked fine on the 496 but I think they are too small for the 572-598 right? Maybe I will sell my Edelbrocks and pick up a set of Dart Pro 1's or AFR 345 heads that are new on ebay for around $2k. Other than that is there any difference in parts for a Dart tall deck block? I see there is a 9.8 deck Dart block but your stroke is limited to 4.50" right? Is there an advantage to going either way? I intend on setting the engine up for 10.5:1 to run pump gas and not likely to spray it. Car is a 68 Camaro that is 90%+ street driven, hence the pump gas. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Steve
Old 09-20-2007, 12:57 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

My thoughts on this, I ran a tall deck last motor a few things to remember, longer rod which I dont like just more chance for it to break. 2nd thing more weight. I wont run another tall deck unless I go with 600in or bigger and sure wouldnt do it with a 496ci motor. If you plan on never going bigger then 598 then use the short deck. I am also putting together a 496 for a back up motor I am just using the stock block for it 4 bolt main though.

DON'T I REPEAT DONT buy anything from Dynoflo you are wasting a lot of money.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:14 PM
r8ceredy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

How about AD Performance in Washington? I've heard of them in the Popular Hot rodding engine master competition. I am just comparing a stock block 496 -vs- a dart block 572 or 598. That would be the largest size I would go. Thanks for the heads up on Dyno-flo. There are several companies on ebay selling these Dart BBC short blocks. I figure I have $1000 (at least) in machining, balancing, and assembly to use the stock block, and $2000 in the Eagle 4340 496 rotating assembly. If I can spend around $4000 and have a completely balanced, assembled 572 or 598 Dart block with Eagle internals that seems to be a justifiable upgrade. Any other reputable places that you guys want to recommend I would be happy to hear from you.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:23 PM
lmchevy
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default engine

Those heads you mention are to small for that size of engine.As far as the tall deck block i would go ahead and build what you want like the 572-598.If you go with a short deck block you are limited,if you ever decide to go up to a 632 you have the block for it.Check out ohiocrank.com for some of there deals they are pretty reasonable.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

I believe ohio crankshaft is china stuff!! just be careful! make sure its machined in the usa. eagle is china, but ive had good luck with their stuff, check clearances carefully though. Usually when something is cheaper than other us companies it made in china. the parts may be ok, but check it out!! good luck, have fun, tell us about it when its done!!! David.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:01 PM
lmchevy
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default oc

Ohio Crankshaft forged in China the same place as Eagle and finished machined at Ohio Crankshaft.I have personally used their shortblocks with good results.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

My shortblock came from Ohio Crankshaft.I assembled it but the crank mic'd perfect.I haven't ran it much,but so far no problems. knock on wood
Old 09-21-2007, 01:55 PM
r8ceredy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

so who has affordable 572 dart or merlin short block assemblies and a good rep? I want to do this once and be done, not chase after problems.
thanks 8)
Old 09-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

reher- morrison. you'll have no problems with them! if you had a problem they'll take care of it !!!!!!!!!!! David.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:33 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Racefab57
reher- morrison. you'll have no problems with them! if you had a problem they'll take care of it !!!!!!!!!!! David.
RM or Sunset either or is good !