lexan???

Old 09-09-2007, 04:01 PM
buffjhsn1
CRAFTSMAN

Default lexan???

i need some lexan for my cars and can't find any. the local glass company wants like 600.00 for a sheet, and there is no way i'm paying that for it. i need mar guard of course and a big enough sheet to do the nova and red car.

so where do you guys get it from??? oh yeah i WILL NOT buy it form JEGS!

Thanks,
Corey
Old 09-09-2007, 06:20 PM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

Hi Corey,
I did a google search for "polymer lexan" and got this place...http://www.polymerplastics.com/transparents_lexan.shtml

amongs others......they are in reno nevada, but there should be a supplier closer to you.
The margard is usually about twice the price of the regular stuff.
If you know anyone who is a distributor for Allstar, they carry it in precut sizes, although the sizes are weird and can give lots of waste.

Lexan is the brand name for this stuff made by GE. other companies make similar stuff, and margard style polymer under different names, but just as good.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:37 PM
nitro63
JOURNEYMAN

corey, give me a call, i do lexan windows 915-592-0822 tony
Old 09-10-2007, 07:36 PM
nova77
JOURNEYMAN

i bought mine at home depot-- 1/8 inch mar guard ,mfg by GE
$71.00 a sheet.Worked great
Old 09-11-2007, 01:11 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

All right nova77,

Kicks the crap out of these rip off venders.

Zip
Old 09-11-2007, 02:03 AM
bignastygs
SENIOR BUILDER

Like Nova77,
I too bought sheets from Home Depot. Its made by GE with a 10 year guarantee and one side is treated for sunlight. I am not using it for a windshield or rear window,just my door and 1/4 windows.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:29 AM
dart441
APPRENTICE

Re: Lexan
Take your measurments with you. All I have ever seen at Home Depot is cut pieces. They have some large enough for windshields usually. It is not listed on their website due to size and they won't ship it. Only available in stores last time I checked.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:28 AM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

I am not sure the home depot stuff is margard,...I have not seen any of that up here at our home depots....just the regular ol construction grade polymer..
It sould say margard on the paper covering.....
but dont think the margard stuff is indestructable guys....it is only "scratch resistant" You still have to take care of it while cleaning and what you clean it with.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:13 PM
bbc4life
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I have purchased lexan from nitro63 a couple months ago fair price and quick shipping
Old 09-12-2007, 10:06 PM
nitro63
JOURNEYMAN

thanks bbc4life for the postive feedback about the lexan windows, i read the previous message about the lexan at home depot, so today i went to all 4 home depot in town were i live and NOT one of them carrys margard lexan "scratch resistant" , all they have is regular GE polymer in different sizes, which is a sheet of clear plastic, now about the 10 year guarantee and one side is treated for sunlight, im sorry but that isnt even lexan , GE Lexan has a lable on it that clearly states , "lexan" or "margard". corey is looking for the margard lexan for his malibu, i offered him the regular std lexan which is 1/8 size with paper back on both sides and the complete kit i quoted him was 400.00 and the shipping was already included into the price and that is a very good deal, i do agree with mcracecars about the way you have to take care of the lexan on your race car, i have a 68 camaro and the lexan i have on it is the std regular lexan , look up my profile it is nitro63 for the pics of the car, the lexan on the car has been on it for over 8 years now, and all i do is take care of it inside and out and i live here in texas with nothing but wind some times and alot of dirt flying around , but what it really all comes down to is the way we want our race cars to look, because that is what keeps us sane !! just my 2 cents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -