long tube or short tube ?????

Old 09-06-2007, 05:22 AM
camaro96ss
APPRENTICE

Default long tube or short tube ?????

OK im trying to make a decision on short or long tube headers? what im trying to get out of my car is ..... 0-60 power i have a lt1 motor that im in the begining stages of bolt-ons i have a flow master cats back so i wanna add headers and a y pipe to start with and then a cam and injectors but im first thing first ..... long or short ???????
Old 09-06-2007, 12:10 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Long tube normally yields more bottom end..longer tube headers allow for more scavanging effect and burns off the fuel in the collectors..which produces more lower end TQ......

Then you get into back pressure thing,,,which i do not know enough about to give adviseon..all the stauff i ever ran needs to get the exhaust out..not restrict...

long tube is my vote..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-07-2007, 01:24 PM
camaro96ss
APPRENTICE

I just found out that my car may be sitting to low to use long tubes, I had my mind made up to go with the lts i guess i may be back to square one short tube is better than none at all right
Old 09-07-2007, 01:46 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

RIGHT !...do what you have to ...going to the headers will help your HP regardless..

Good luck....

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-13-2007, 04:12 PM
stevehgs
JOURNEYMAN

My engine builder told me that shorties are kinda like taking a shower with your socks on. I agree with the above comment, long or short it WILL be an improvement. Steve.