main battery/power cable

Old 09-04-2007, 01:42 PM
tinytimhere
APPRENTICE

Default main battery/power cable

Hello all! I just wanted some others thoughts on what main battery/power wire should be ran. I am putting 1-gauge battery cables on the new car and planning on running the same to the remote charging terminals.

Ive heard storys of back in the day and still some of the vintage racers swear by going to a welding shop and buying a good set of welding leads and running them for the power wires.

I just wanted your input and possibly some storys and myths that you all have heard.
Thanks To All,
TinyTim
Old 09-04-2007, 01:53 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

thats what I have, some welding wire, i made up, have on off switch at rear taillight, from there up to shifter were I have flaming river kill switch, then on to bulkhead connector , were it goes through to soiloid, then welding wire down to starter, with a 8 gauge wire, off of alt back to rear, were battery is!!!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:40 AM
fxst2003
SHOW GUEST

Don't know about the welding wire, but any good stereo shop will have 0 gauge wire in bulk. plus battery terminals. if you are pulling monster current, bigger is better.....
Old 10-17-2007, 11:58 AM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

depending on the length of cable you have to run 1 gauge should be good. If you are running the length of a car using a 0 or a 00. The best thing you can do is buy some cable figure out the length you need and go to a welding shop or Electrical supply house and have them attach the crimp on lugs on to the wire with a Hydralic crimping tool. I know guys like to solder the ends on but crimping the lugs on with a 15 ton Hypress is far superior to soldering.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:25 PM
duswill
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Cables

I have used welding cable on all of my cars. They have never given me a problem and can handle more current than about anything out there.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:57 PM
oobob
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by dak697
depending on the length of cable you have to run 1 gauge should be good. If you are running the length of a car using a 0 or a 00. The best thing you can do is buy some cable figure out the length you need and go to a welding shop or Electrical supply house and have them attach the crimp on lugs on to the wire with a Hydralic crimping tool. I know guys like to solder the ends on but crimping the lugs on with a 15 ton Hypress is far superior to soldering.
You really should crimp and solder, the solder will prevent the connector from corroding inside. :wink:

Mark
Old 11-15-2007, 07:39 PM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

If the battery ends are crimped with a 15 ton Hypress unit, you cannot solder the connectors. This type of crimper is not a hand unit with long handles it is a hydralic unit. If you where to cut the crimp off there would be cable strands that have bonded together. The advantage to the hypress type crimp there is zero corrosion.