Thread: Big Block Chevy Help

Junior Member SHOW GUEST

Big Block Chevy Help

:?: I have a 1998 gen 6 454 block,how big can it safely be bored to.If you turn the block upside down and look at the bottom of the lifter valley it has 7.4/8.0L does this mean it could have been used for a 502.Thanks

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400
    That is possibly correct.
    Do you have the full casting number of the block?

The gen 5 502 was only good for 700-750 hp.

Ed
    " Let all things that hath breath, praise the Lord. Praise Ye the Lord" Psalms 150 vs 6.

I have a gen 6 block 566 making 985hp with 4.605 bore. So far so good.
    Steve Vance Racing Engines

Senior Member DYNO OPERATOR
    VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400
    I believe your name is Steve, according to your signiture?

If the block is a Gen 5 or Gen 6 BowTie it is very strong. I wouldn't be scared to put 2,000 hp in either one. It is the standard 502 cu in block that is weak in the main webbing but it will bore bigger. GM recommends to to go 700 hp . I consider this to have a safety factor included though. I do know of them doing more hp.

Ed
    " Let all things that hath breath, praise the Lord. Praise Ye the Lord" Psalms 150 vs 6.

Quote Originally Posted by edvancedengines
    I believe your name is Steve, according to your signiture?

If the block is a Gen 5 or Gen 6 BowTie it is very strong. I wouldn't be scared to put 2,000 hp in either one. It is the standard 502 cu in block that is weak in the main webbing but it will bore bigger. GM recommends to to go 700 hp . I consider this to have a safety factor included though. I do know of them doing more hp.

Ed
    Yes my name is Steve.

The 566 I built was for a guy in WV who had to run a "stock block" class. Then 2 weeks after we finished it, they changed the rules to allow aftermarket blocks. Go figure...

This off season we are going dart.
    Steve Vance Racing Engines