Whats the biggest shot of nos will a stock 350 2 bolt take?

Old 08-31-2007, 10:49 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Whats the biggest shot of nos will a stock 350 2 bolt take?

Due to smog laws here in calif.I have no other way to go for more performance.Cant even change rear end gears due to the dyno at smog test.When time to smog.All I have to do is pull the plate off and hide the lines.Engine has 60,000 miles runs like a dream with rebuilt 350 tranny.2 barrel carb single flowmaster exhaust.I was told a 100 shot is all it will handle due to the stock head gaskets.Ready to order a kit.Just want to know what will be safe on this engine.Going to build a short block 350 in the next month.Any help on bottom end parts that will take a 150 shot or more on a budget would be great.$2,000 to spend on short block.I will have to run a stock cam with stock heads.Going to put some roller rockers on the heads and a mild polish.Good Idea or bad?Engine gurus please chime in.I dont want to make a big mistake.Thanks.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:09 AM
123car
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

YOU HAVE A PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:04 PM
jaykz1000
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

i put a 175 shot on a 305 in my daily driver truck when my car was down... shot 10 bottles through it no problem trucks still going today its all in timing and fuel ..
Old 09-29-2007, 05:44 PM
topdogracing
SHOW GUEST

as long as you have enough fuel pressure anything up to about 175 to 200 hp. will be fine just remember to have at least 5lbs fuel pressure while you are on the nitrous not 5 lbs before you push button.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:01 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Whats the biggest shot of nos will a stock 350 2 bolt ta

Originally Posted by cbtlr
Due to smog laws here in calif.I have no other way to go for more performance.Cant even change rear end gears due to the dyno at smog test.When time to smog.All I have to do is pull the plate off and hide the lines.Engine has 60,000 miles runs like a dream with rebuilt 350 tranny.2 barrel carb single flowmaster exhaust.I was told a 100 shot is all it will handle due to the stock head gaskets.Ready to order a kit.Just want to know what will be safe on this engine.Going to build a short block 350 in the next month.Any help on bottom end parts that will take a 150 shot or more on a budget would be great.$2,000 to spend on short block.I will have to run a stock cam with stock heads.Going to put some roller rockers on the heads and a mild polish.Good Idea or bad?Engine gurus please chime in.I dont want to make a big mistake.Thanks.
I would just have to move,that's all there is to it! :shock:
Old 09-30-2007, 12:12 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Re: Whats the biggest shot of nos will a stock 350 2 bolt ta

Originally Posted by Tod74
Originally Posted by cbtlr
I would just have to move,that's all there is to it! :shock:
I have the same thoughts.Or get a 75 chevy or earlier that has no smog requierments.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:10 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I's say put a plate on it and save the 2 grand for something else the stock bottom end and head gaskets will hold up fine, trust me.
The port polish will help especially when you spray it and roller rockers is a definetly required uprgade that's worth at least 15 ponies
NOS makes a entry level kit thats adjustable from 50 to 175. Its called the Sniper NOS kit and is fairely cheap too around 350 to 400 depending on where you purchase it and can be put on quickly with just simple hand tools.
I would start with the 75 or 100hp jets and back off intial timing about 10 degrees, anymore than that and I would think you need a timing retard.

I cant believe they wont let you change rear gears? Why would they care anyway? Your the one buying the gas, not them. Its not affecting emissions and how do they know what factory gears your car came with anyway? Makes no sense to me.
What about an msd box? I'm pretty sure they are 50 state legal and would help a bunch, get the one with a rpm limiter (6al) you'll need it when you spray, and try and stay below 5500 unless you like pulling the valve covers and replacing bent pushrods.
Goodluck, Charles
Old 10-02-2007, 04:23 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by cepx111
I's say put a plate on it and save the 2 grand for something else the stock bottom end and head gaskets will hold up fine, trust me.
The port polish will help especially when you spray it and roller rockers is a definetly required uprgade that's worth at least 15 ponies
NOS makes a entry level kit thats adjustable from 50 to 175. Its called the Sniper NOS kit and is fairely cheap too around 350 to 400 depending on where you purchase it and can be put on quickly with just simple hand tools.
I would start with the 75 or 100hp jets and back off intial timing about 10 degrees, anymore than that and I would think you need a timing retard.

I cant believe they wont let you change rear gears? Why would they care anyway? Your the one buying the gas, not them. Its not affecting emissions and how do they know what factory gears your car came with anyway? Makes no sense to me.
What about an msd box? I'm pretty sure they are 50 state legal and would help a bunch, get the one with a rpm limiter (6al) you'll need it when you spray, and try and stay below 5500 unless you like pulling the valve covers and replacing bent pushrods.
Goodluck, Charles
I'm with you on this.Thanks for the info.I think your reply will be the way I go..But the gearing change will affect the emissions.The engine would be reving higher to accomodate the same speed as before the change in gearing.Thus more emissions.The smog dyno monitors your rpm's and your mph.What ever rpm you sappose to be at.At a certain speed from the vehicle factory.Thats where you better be during the test.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:47 PM
Camaroguy66
SHOW GUEST

Default Nitrous through stock engine.

Originally Posted by cbtlr View Post
A 150 shot is generally safe without gapping the rings wider. I myself wouldn't ever go over that! Gee whizz, you couldn't pay me to live in California!!! Not only because it's hard to run power there,but you all got yearly wild fires,earthquakes and smog! Just so many better states to live in!!! I understand it may not b financially possible but if it ever was I'd pack up and get out of there super quick!!!!!!✌
Old 07-27-2023, 01:15 AM
clarkox
APPRENTICE

I'm constructing a 383 on a tight spending plan and am putting a Hawk road/strip stroker pack with I pillar poles and fashioned srp cylinders. The 1974 350 block is a 2 bolt primary that will pull around 440 HP and 480 ft/lb of force. It will be chiefly a hot road motor with a couple of excursions to the track a month. My inquiry is, will the 2 bolt obstruct hold to this power? The road/strip pack is evaluated at 500 hp and can make up to 175 effort of nitrous. I was thinkin perhaps 100 shot later. I know a 4 bolt would be the most ideal decision however im buildin with what I have. I in all likelihood will run milodon principal covers with ARP primary studs. Could the 2 dart at any point hold up or will I be in for a calamity? Much obliged!!

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

Last edited by clarkox; 07-27-2023 at 09:14 AM.