hawk racing rods?????china but so it eagle

Old 08-31-2007, 06:41 AM
Timmyboy86
CRAFTSMAN

Default hawk racing rods?????china but so it eagle

does anyone have any stories on the hawk racing rods? i really need to know how they compare up to eagle in the next copule of days before i buy
Old 08-31-2007, 06:47 AM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Out of the three you have mentioned go with Eagle.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:04 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Timmyboy,
I do not understand.

Why are you considering all of these unknown and wierd name racing engine products?

If it is becuase of a tight budget let us know. There is no shame in not having money and trying to make your dream come true on a shoe string budget. Many of us here have done or do that same thing.

Tell us what you presently own and what you are wanting to try to build. For sure I will try to help and I know several others here that will too.

Do not take gambles on cheaper parts that no one has ever heard about.

For you to know. There are some ebay selles that are buying up factory defect or blemished Eagle, Scat, Cat, etc parts and are selling them as the real thing. I'll bet there could be some others doing this same thing and giving them a new name. Or another Chinese breeed is trying to get started.

Ed
Old 09-01-2007, 07:15 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

Take any Chinese rod to a race shop and have the big end checked for size before you try to use it.Had a set of Eagles come in as part of a balance job yesterday and since we have found so many off size I asked the customer if he would like us to put them on the gage while he was here.the entire set was .001/.0015 above maximum with .0005 out of round and .0007 bell mouth. By cutting .006 off the cap and rod we got them back to an acceptable state but the parting line area was still .0007 above minimum,not what I would want in a new rod.Its a sad state of affairs when a rod that is claimed to be finished in the USA is so far out of tolerance,kind of makes you wonder if they brought some 50 cent a day labor over here.Bill
Old 09-01-2007, 11:18 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: hawk racing rods?????china but so it eagle

Originally Posted by Timmyboy86
does anyone have any stories on the hawk racing rods? i really need to know how they compare up to eagle in the next copule of days before i buy
I've seen all the rods mentioned, and i believe the eagles are a little strong due to their machining method in the (H) section of the rod. Hawk,Scat, and Cat, uses a 1/2" ball endmill to gut the H section, where s eagle take 2 passes with a 1/4" ball endmill leaving a small stand ^ in the center of the rod i feel making them stronger, but i would opt. for the ARP 2000 or L19 bolts instead of the 8620 bolts.

RE:, Bill,
You're pretty close about Eagle, i've been a machinest all my life, and work about 40 miles south of Eagles shop as a CNC programmer and machinest, so i check everything i'm going to run or build. They do farm some work out, but that's no excuse, they advertise +or - .0005 on all tolerance on all areas, so those rods could have been seconds but i doubt it. They're just lax on their inspection and by the way their pay scale is $12.00 max except for the setup man, who make about $18.00 per hr.
I've return sets of rods, and 1 crankshaft for being out of tolerance, so i'm not surprised at your findings. The average joe blow who pays $400.00 for set of rods rarely ever check them except with plasti gage and what you found or what i would find they never see. I guess that's how these manufacturers get away with such shoddy work.

just my .02

Zip.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:49 AM
doubler
APPRENTICE

My GM 7/16 rods need to be replaced. The local machine shop suggested to go with SCAT H beam as he could get them at a reasonable price and thought they were a pretty good rod. I think I would rather go with Manleys, but don't know the price difference yet. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this motor, so will the Scats' be okay? Should be better thans the GM in any case? how would the Manleys compare quality wise with the Scats?

Does anyone know where to get the best deal on the lower quality stuff? Can't afford Olivers...
Old 09-02-2007, 12:26 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Rods

Go here there's 54 sets listed on ebay and most are under $300.00.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/search...trypage=search

Zip.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:11 AM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I'd like to see some of the testing numbers of that junk,like tensile strength

Only thing that junk would be good for is make clock ornaments

I would never use that junk,I'd be afraid it would hurt my reputation.
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it,in fact I won't use any chinese junk in any engine,the customer will take it some where else to get it assembled,thats just the way I am
Old 09-02-2007, 04:32 AM
nabit
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

My engine ahs the hawks racing cast steel cranks 4.250 and the hawks h-beam forged rods in it right now. All the measurements came up fine per my machinist and they weren't touched as far as the rod ends and the crank journals. They balanced out fine with srp forged pistons, proform balancer and tci flexplate.

My machinsit said they looked great especially for the price I paid for them.

When I installed everything I didn''t have a single problem with fitment or anything, all went together uneventful.

I should have the engine running by the end of september for more feedback..
Old 09-02-2007, 03:49 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by nabit
My engine ahs the hawks racing cast steel cranks 4.250 and the hawks h-beam forged rods in it right now. All the measurements came up fine per my machinist and they weren't touched as far as the rod ends and the crank journals. They balanced out fine with srp forged pistons, proform balancer and tci flexplate.

My machinsit said they looked great especially for the price I paid for them.

When I installed everything I didn''t have a single problem with fitment or anything, all went together uneventful.

I should have the engine running by the end of september for more feedback..
i don't think anyone here is saying that you can't put one together with those parts, but in the end it's how hard you going to run and how will the parts hold up, that's the bottom line.

Zip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -