Is it possible to swap a 6" tailshaft with a 9" on

Old 08-29-2007, 10:43 AM
ChevyGuy327
SHOW GUEST

Default Is it possible to swap a 6" tailshaft with a 9" on

If so do I need to purchase anything?

I have a built to the gills 6" th-350

and an old worn out 9" th-350

Im replacing a 700r4 in a 1992 chevy caprice that will have near 600hp at the flywheel

Thanks for any help
Old 08-29-2007, 11:37 AM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

The output shaft of the TH350 is only held in with a snap ring, so that they are interchangable between the tailshaft lengths. But, you would have to completely disassemble both transmissions to be able to exchange them, because the output shaft rides against the rear thrust bearing in the case.

I just recently made this change for a TransAm.

Bill Mitchell
Old 08-29-2007, 11:46 AM
ChevyGuy327
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the info bill, Ill have to look at some exploited views and see if I think I can handle it.

Most ive done as far as transmissions go was a valvebody shiftkit and a servo swap in a 700r4.

*cleans off the work bench* :shock:
Old 08-29-2007, 12:21 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

There are a few transmission books that you can get for the TH350. I am in the process of moving, so I don't remember the name but it is about 150-200 pages and gives a good explainations and diagrams.
It is more in depth than changing the valve body (which can be a big job when all of the check balls fall out) and there are some gotcha's (anti-clunk spring is one) and you have to be careful about getting the splines of the hubs back into all of the clutch discs. There is a finess and a feel to getting them to all fit in place. I have a made an adapter to my engine stand to assemble the trans upright. You should also get new front pump gaskets, valve body gaskets, and etc.
I would recommend that you find someone that has done this before and have them help you.

Good luck,
Bill Mitchell