prepping motor for install

Old 08-22-2007, 02:57 PM
rabiddawg
DYNO TECH

Default prepping motor for install

got a built 406 with brodix -8 pro heads and super victor intake.
I found high temp rtv between the intake and heads.
im sure there wont be any vacum leaks but im concerned about performance?
I dont feel like taking the intake off to correct that issue but will try to scrape or cut most of it off.
engine runs on dyno fine but im sure i can get better flow without the RTV in the way.
whats the best approach for the removal of the RTV without disturbing the intake?
pics are of each side.
same amount just about everywhere.
see pics:
http://webpages.charter.net/harrycoo...%20(Large).JPG

*EDIT*
Pics are too big,please keep the size down to 800X600 Thanks Tom
Old 08-22-2007, 04:31 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

well i can tell your ANAL about these things just LIKE I AM...lol...

but i am going to tell you just like someone will tell me.....you will never see any LOWER ET'S OR FEEL ANY POWER IN THE SEAT by removing this small amount of silicon..

It will probably make you feel better...like scratching an itch...lol

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-22-2007, 11:33 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I hate it when people get carried away with the silicon, GEZZZZZ that makes me ANAL!!!!!!! A thin coat around the water jackets on the intake and on the end gaps on the intake and a dap on the corners of the oil pan.
Some people have that stuff all over the engine ozzing out at every gasket surface on the motor, Ive seen oil pump pick ups competely stopped up with this junk. And whats the deal with them putting it on header gaskets??? Like its gonna help seal up a warped header flange Cmon....
I'm with Brain on this one, dont really think it's gonna make a penny's worth of difference in performance, but scraping it off will definetly make you feel like it does, so go for it. Cp
Old 08-23-2007, 01:48 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

The problem is this;
RTV Silicon is not gasolene resistant and will eventually brek down with repeated exposure to it.

RTV on water ports and on both ends but not to seal intake runners. I use a mixture. If gasket is not printed I use Edlebrock Gaska-Cinnch between gasket and head and if printed nothing else on the ports. If not printed I use Permatex Avaition Sealer which does not dry hard and is not suseptile to gasolene.

Possibly those dams of RTV will catch enough gas to make an intake begin to leak.

Hope you accept this as help and not a criticism.

Ed
Old 08-23-2007, 02:54 AM
rabiddawg
DYNO TECH

yeah im gonna pull the intake and see if the intake is warped etc.
there gotta be a reason for using all that RTV around the ports?
even though most say not to worry about it the rtv will eventually dissolve over time and burn off.
I just dont like suprizes after motor is installed .
Old 08-23-2007, 02:59 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Good point Ed, I never thought about the gas attacking the silicon, it will break it down eventually and could cause a leak. Might be better off pulling the intake and get new gaskets and startt over. I like to use spray trim adhesives for most all my gaskets, it hold them in place and doesn't leave any residue. which brings to mind people that used 3M 8001 weather strip adhesive A.K.A. ( gorilla snot ) that yellow crap was a nightmare to clean off of gaskets surfaces. Oh how I dont miss those days working in the shops and dealerships.
Cp