Thread: Vacuum Pump Benefits

Junior Member APPRENTICE

Vacuum Pump Benefits

Im considering adding a vacuum pump to my 13:1 540 BBC and wondering what the benfit is other than about 20hp. Does it add to the longevity of the engine? Any manufacturer you can recommend? Have you guys noticed much of a difference in ET and MPH?

Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar
    the reason for the increase in HP is that is allows you to run a loser ring set up ( less friction)..the pump will help create a tighter seal by creating the vaccum...which results in greater HP...the longivity of the motor coming into play would be where it pulls out any excess oil ( blow by etc..) that would normally cause an engine to detonate..it WILL NOT with a vaccum pump in place..which results in longer engine life..DETONATION = ENGINE FAILURE..

be sure to run the vaccum pump relief valve...Moroso is the choice i would go with..

if there is any other benefit ..i have not heard of it...

thanks brian
    Bjuice..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE curtisreed's Avatar
    We run our pumps mainly to pull excess moisture out of the engine. We run alcohol.

Curtis

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER
    The other gain is in windage,in a perfect vacuum [which you cant get] there would be no friction from the crank rods and pistons moving through the air. if you don't think thats a lot just hang your hand out the window at 60 mph then imagine the crank at 8000 rpm.Bill
    Hendrens Racing Engines
    1310 U.S. Hwy 221 North
    Rutherfordton N.C. 28139
    828-286-0780 Bill, Steve, Mike
    www.hendrensracingengines.com

Administrator RACING JUNKIE bjuice's Avatar
    good contrast Bill..everyone can relate to that one.

thanks brian
    Bjuice..

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Junior Member SHOW GUEST
    One thing to keep in mind is the more vacume you pull the harder it will be on pin bushings. Thats the only down side i've seen.

Administrator RACING JUNKIE
    Quote Originally Posted by billhendren
    The other gain is in windage,in a perfect vacuum [which you cant get] there would be no friction from the crank rods and pistons moving through the air. if you don't think thats a lot just hang your hand out the window at 60 mph then imagine the crank at 8000 rpm.Bill
    Good example Bill.

LMAO
    There Is 1 Thing Better Than Cubic Inches,,,More Of Them

Junior Member APPRENTICE
    From what I have heard it's not really adviseable to go much more than 14 inches of depression with the Vac pump, two reasons

1) the trade off at anything much more becomes negligable
    2) it will have to be well sealed as at much more you may start to suck air past seals etc..

this was on an Austrailian touring car engine, small block ford, about 600 hp and 8000rpm (similar to nascar)