496 engine combos - good websites to review?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:53 AM
vincef
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default 496 engine combos - good websites to review?

I am looking to build a budget minded 496/ 489- depending on the overbore......

Any websites one can recommend that have solid 496 combos and the specs to recreate? or anyone have a combo they suggest for a street/ stripe vehicle?

Also can a 4.25" stroke crank go right into a stock set-up and use the stock rods and pistons? or are specialized longer rods/ pistons needed?

Thanks for the help / advice in advance! Vince
Old 08-07-2007, 11:52 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Hi Vince
If you put a 4.25 crank in a 454 block u have to run a longer rod, a 6.385 and then get the pistons for those rods which will have relocated pins.
The 496 is a 60 over 1/4 stroked 454 and is most popular and easier to get parts for than some of the other combos.
I am building my current motor based on those configurations.
Its only use will be at the strip I will looking at in the neighborhood of 700 to 800 horses, these engines make a good choice for street cars though because of the monster torque they make, I'd say with flat tops and some good heads and cam carb combo you can be looking 5 and 5 for the street easy. Build a stout bottem end and dont go cheap, these engines require good parts to live. If you want more specific info on parts for a good combo just reply and tell us your car specs and intended use. Goodluck, Charles
Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I have got the parts to put a 496ci motor together to go along with my 468ci. A friend of mine put together a 496 for his dragster over the winter, has all eagle stuff and je pistons, comp 748/748 roller cam dart 360 heads, super victor intake and apd 1050 alky carb and we guess it makes around 750hp. It has been 7.87 in his 1918lb swingarm dragster.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:04 PM
vincef
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Car details for motor combo.....

The car is a 1964 Chevy II - its weighs no more than 3000 lbs, 8 pt cage, Competition engineering back-half frame, full tubs w/ 32x14x15 MTs, stock front-end, all aluminum interior panels/ gutted - so fairly light

The car was strickly drag and WAS set-up for the 1/8. Now it is street legal and will be 90% street / 10% track - Weekend cruiser type of thing.

Currently the drive line is the stock 454 (2 bolt main) from 1978, a TH400 trans, 2800 stall, and I plan to install 3.73's in the 12 bolt spooled Moser Engineering rear-end.

I would like to have the power to back up the car's looks at least. I lost quite a bit of money paying one builder for a 540 that did not come through so now on a budget trying to make decent power with what I have.

Any suggestions on a head, intake, cam combo? Also what are the opinions of SCAT cranks & rods? Also it an internal balance necessary or it external still okay. Can't imagine spinning extreme RPMs.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:32 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

vincef you have come to the right place for info. Man i would just like to say you have one nice hotrod I like it a lot. Sorry to hear about you 540 deal maybe if you stick with these guy's they will do you right. You will get different opinions but will be wise ones none the less.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:58 PM
cboggs
SENIOR BUILDER

I'd go over the motorsportsvillage.com and ask
George about his 498, .. it's the baddest 498 I've seen, ..

Curtis
Old 08-07-2007, 06:59 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I got my rotating assembly from a vender on here , he's from Ky but I cant remember his name, I got eagle 4340 crank, forged h beam rods and forged srp 13 to 1 pistons all necessary rings and bearings all for about $ 1700 delivered.
I would definetly get the rotating assembly balanced regardless if your going internal or external and even if you buy one of those so called "BALANCED ASSEMBLIES", it's the right thing to do and is well worth the extra bucks as far as longivety is concerned. Do you plan on running pump gas? or plan on adding any power boosters later?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:22 PM
vincef
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by woodsman
vincef you have come to the right place for info. Man i would just like to say you have one nice hotrod I like it a lot. Sorry to hear about you 540 deal maybe if you stick with these guy's they will do you right. You will get different opinions but will be wise ones none the less.
Woodsman - thanks for the compliments. After the engine and some tweaking I plan to replace the quarters. Not sure why the previous owner rolled them so much - guess for clearance..... decent job but starting to bother me b/c it's not original. THe quarters on early Chevy II's are unique - distinct part of the car to me....
Old 08-07-2007, 07:26 PM
vincef
JUNIOR BUILDER

cboggs and cpex111 - thanks for the heads up on the sites and assemblies. I was trying to find something balanced for the low 1000's.

Not planning on any power adders - just a strong running NA motor that runs on pump gas.

Anything else you or other can advise is appreciated!! I know engine combo questions and examples are endless on the web.... hard to decide what are the keys to go for in a 90% street / 10% strip motor. Gues I am over thinking it..... :lol:
Old 08-07-2007, 07:37 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Believe me your plans will change a thousand times before it's done, that's why I say go ahead and get the good stuff down low like forged internals and a good computer balance job, it sure will save you time and money later when the plan changes. I started out building a mild 468 for my camaro drag car but it changed to a 496 and well after almost 6000 dollars into it with seemingly no end in sight..lol but it will be a screamer if I ever get it done.
I'd hate to recomend a cast steel crank but it seems to be the direction your leaning on. That same vender I used sells a cast steel set up for about 900. Browse the engine parts section in drag race engines and you'll findem. GL, Charles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -