rearend setup

Old 08-01-2007, 01:06 PM
lookingaround
RACING JUNKIE

Default rearend setup

guys i need help. im putting a 410 gear im my stang and need to know how to set the rearend up. i can build a motor are a 350 turbo tranny but never fooled with setting rearends up. im also going to start putting new motor in it this weekend and the 5 speed so i have a few days if you need that long to type what i need to do. lol thanks a bunch for any info. i wished there was someone around here that does them
Old 08-04-2007, 05:53 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

this guy is one of the best in the land..His name is lindsey Mcclure..has worked at Richmond gear for 32 years..was on the NHRA set up booth for 12 years and traveled the circuit and set up all the fuel cars,Funny car's.Pro-stock..you name it...Lindsey and Greg Anderson are like brothers...
Lindsey does his own rear end set up at his house after getting off work at Richmond Gear...he just built a new shop and about to retire from Richmond gear and go full time on his own.

he would set you up for a very fair price and can also supply the parts..remember he works at Richmond Gear Locally...your work will be top notch and 2ND to none....

tell him Brian McSwain sent you....its worth your drive from TN or if a 9 inch 3rd member,,then ship it to him..

his shop # is 864-855-0455...call after 6:00pm Monday thru Friday.

your problem is solved here...trust me on this one..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-04-2007, 07:20 PM
lookingaround
RACING JUNKIE

thanks alot bjuice. were is he located?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:00 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Easley s.c. 29640..
get with him..at least speak with him..awesome guy..one of us..real country..heart of gold.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-25-2007, 08:47 AM
scot9055
APPRENTICE

Default 3rd member

Well I have to say, I done the same thing for years... But finally got me some tools and info and started doing it my self. The ford 9" is by far the easiest one to build!! I just dont install the pinion bearing and use a solid crush sleeve (the one with shims) and shim it up until there is very little drag. Then install the bearing. As far as pinion depth goes, you can use a cheap digital micrometer to set that. Just use shims between pinion support and 3rd member housing. 8 to 12 thou backlash (according to application) and your done. I will admit a ruined a few R & P's before I got the right stuff to work with. But the exspense was selecting a ratio only to find out it wasn't the right gear or change my engine setup and boom there you go, traveling back to the guy to get it setup again..... Although I have not tackeled the automatic transmission yet so you guys can me the lo-down on that!!!